From: Ben Myers on
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message news:SfidnY7MzPU_qTfVnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d(a)softcom.net...
> > Hi,
> > Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode, an
> > Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to use
> > ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of the
> > computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get to
> > the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try to
> > get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there?
> Or
> > more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
> > when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
>
> Download
> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fixswen.inf
> to your desktop, right-click the file and select "Install".

> I did that, and when I click on install nothing happens. I am giving
> up now, but thanks. :-)

If you are saying that restarting in MS-DOS mode still gives an error
message, click "Start", "Find", type "exitto~1.pif" into the "Named" box and
"c:\windows" into the "Look in" box, then click "Find Now". When the
file is located, delete it, then restart in MS-DOS mode and Windows
should rebuild the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193936

Ben
From: Cheri on

Ben Myers wrote in message ...
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode,
an
> > Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to
use
> > ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of
the
> > computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get
> > the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try
> > get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there?
> Or
> > more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
> > when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
>
> Download
> http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fixswen.inf
> to your desktop, right-click the file and select "Install".

> I did that, and when I click on install nothing happens. I am giving
> up now, but thanks. :-)

If you are saying that restarting in MS-DOS mode still gives an error
message, click "Start", "Find", type "exitto~1.pif" into the "Named"
box and
"c:\windows" into the "Look in" box, then click "Find Now". When the
file is located, delete it, then restart in MS-DOS mode and Windows
should rebuild the file.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193936

Ben

*******

OK, I did do that, but how do I restart in MS-DOS when the only
options are booting into Windows? When I press F8 the only thing that
comes up is a blue box that has choice of boots:

Quantum Fireball ex6.4A

CRD=8322B

1st Floppy Drive

or esc to boot using defaults

They all boot to Windows and not DOS.

Cheri

From: Ben Myers on
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message news:g8fso105et(a)news5.newsguy.com...
> > > Hi,
> > > Recently when I try to shut down win98 to restart in MS-DOS mode,
> an
> > > Open With box comes up that says "click the program you want to
> use
> > > ope the file 'Exit To Dos.pif.' Why is this happening instead of
> the
> > > computer restarting in DOS? It never did that before, when I get
> > > the Dos Prompt there is C:\WINDOWS> but everything I type to try
> > > get to DOS says invalid file name. How do I get to DOS from there?
> > Or
> > > more importantly how do I get it back to the way it's always been,
> > > when clicking on restart in DOS, it does? TIA
> >
> > Download
> > http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fixswen.inf
> > to your desktop, right-click the file and select "Install".
>
> > I did that, and when I click on install nothing happens. I am giving
> > up now, but thanks. :-)
>
> If you are saying that restarting in MS-DOS mode still gives an error
> message, click "Start", "Find", type "exitto~1.pif" into the "Named"
> box and
> "c:\windows" into the "Look in" box, then click "Find Now". When the
> file is located, delete it, then restart in MS-DOS mode and Windows
> should rebuild the file.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193936
>
> Ben
>
> *******
>
> OK, I did do that, but how do I restart in MS-DOS when the only
> options are booting into Windows? When I press F8 the only thing that
> comes up is a blue box that has choice of boots:
> Quantum Fireball ex6.4A
> CRD=8322B
> 1st Floppy Drive
> or esc to boot using defaults
> They all boot to Windows and not DOS.

When you select "Restart in MS-DOS mode", you typically don't have to
press any keys during bootup. Just remember to type "exit" to get back
into Windows.

Ben
From: Cheri on

Ben Myers wrote in message ...

When you select "Restart in MS-DOS mode", you typically don't have to
press any keys during bootup. Just remember to type "exit" to get
back
into Windows.

Ben
*******

Yes, but that takes me back to my original problem which was when I
hit restart in MS DOS, a box comes up and asks which program I want to
open it with. I put the command line in run which brings me to a
windows prompt, but I don't know what to type in the prompt to get me
to DOS. I just don't understand why all of a sudden, after all these
years of being able to simply shut down and restart in DOS, this box
appears asking which program I want to use to open exit to dos pif.
Thank you for your time.

Cheri

Cheri

From: Ben Myers on
> Ben Myers wrote in message ...
> When you select "Restart in MS-DOS mode", you typically don't have to
> press any keys during bootup. Just remember to type "exit" to get
> back
> into Windows.
>
> Yes, but that takes me back to my original problem which was when I
> hit restart in MS DOS, a box comes up and asks which program I want to
> open it with. I put the command line in run which brings me to a
> windows prompt, but I don't know what to type in the prompt to get me
> to DOS. I just don't understand why all of a sudden, after all these
> years of being able to simply shut down and restart in DOS, this box
> appears asking which program I want to use to open exit to dos pif.
> Thank you for your time.

The part of the registry that controls the execution of .pif files may be
damaged. The http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/fixswen.inf
file should repair it. Be sure to download or copy it to the computer with
the problem, then find it in "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer", right-
click and select "Install". If the problem persists, rename or delete the
"c:\windows\Exit to Dos" file, then click "Start", "Shut down", select
"Restart in MS-DOS mode" and click "OK". Windows should create
a new "Exit to Dos" file to be used for the next shut down to DOS.

Ben