From: Marshall on
I have an Athlon64 3200+, nVidia nForce3 mobo, 1 gig DRAM and 6800GT
nVidia video. WindowsXP Pro.

Two HHD's in RAID+0 at the moment and I am going to wipe them and make
them non RAID since it is too many problems to attempt dual boot with a
RAID configuration. I have everything backed up twice to an external USB
2.0 drive.

I'm seeking advice for:

GNU/Linux platform, (I'm quite rusty with Linux but need to start
weening myself from Windows. I will not use Vista and XP will be my last
MS OS for the foreseeable future) I have quite a few distributions I can
try out and it is easy for me to download whatever is freely available.
It will be a desktop setup for browsing, gaming and getting reacquainted
/ learning GNU/Linux ins and outs. And I will probably make use of
Cedega again.

Order of install, I believe it used to be Windows first (leaving plenty
of room for Linux to partition what I will need) and Linux second since
it was always more civilized about boot loaders etc. Is that still true?

HDD and partition setup, I do like to game so one of my concerns is the
partition scheme for performance. I am unsure if I should keep the OS
and games on one drive and storage and swap space on the second drive.
Is that logical? Both drives are SATA 7200RPM 80GB and that is generally
plenty for my purposes. The external is 7200RPM 200GB USB 2.0.

I will be using Firefox and Thunderbird since those are what I use now.
I hope that since I have everything backed up in a compressed state and
normal copied state that I won't too many issues for being able to copy
over profiles and data once the Linux system is established.

I'm trying to plan this out to be as painless as reasonably possible for
the logical partition scheme, hardware considerations, rebuild, setup,
transfer and performance. I don't have time constraints and I have all
the access I could desire for resources and driver downloads etc.

Thanks for reading.
From: Bit Twister on
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:16:36 GMT, Marshall wrote:
> I have an Athlon64 3200+, nVidia nForce3 mobo, 1 gig DRAM and 6800GT
> nVidia video. WindowsXP Pro.
>
> Order of install, I believe it used to be Windows first (leaving plenty
> of room for Linux to partition what I will need) and Linux second since
> it was always more civilized about boot loaders etc. Is that still true?

Yes. Now you can chose between grub and lilo. I always pick
custom/manual during Partition Phase to allow me control of what is
installed where.

> HDD and partition setup, I do like to game so one of my concerns is the
> partition scheme for performance. I am unsure if I should keep the OS
> and games on one drive and storage and swap space on the second drive.
> Is that logical? Both drives are SATA 7200RPM 80GB and that is generally
> plenty for my purposes. The external is 7200RPM 200GB USB 2.0.

I create about 6 gig partitions for any linux OS install. I have other
partitions for data storage and common acount stuff. /home is
installed in each 6 gig OS.

That way each OS's .kde/.gnome/.whatever desktop files are for the
installed OS. My common stuff is linked to
/accounts/user_login_here.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister bin -> /accounts/bittwister/bin/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister comp -> /accounts/bittwister/comp/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 bittwister bittwister .cron -> /accounts/bittwister/.cron

I use spare 6 gig partitions for testing new releases or other OSs.

I do share /tmp and swap and have a common /local and /site/bin,doc,... for
common code.

I leave the free disk unformated for when I want/need instead of
trying to pick what I need before I know what I need.

Different distribution have different installers.
http://doc.mandrivalinux.com/MandrakeLinux/101/en/Starter.html/drakx-intro.html

http://distrowatch.com/ can be a starting place to look around.