From: MichelTrain on
For our current project, we need to install drivers for 3G devices during our
installation process. To do so, we, first, pre-install the driver files into
the system (using the SetupCopyOEMInf function) and, then, ask for a complete
re-enumeration of the device tree (using the CM_Locate_DevNode to get the
root node of the device tree and then a call to CM_Reenumerate_DevNode). This
method was working as expected until the release of Windows Seven.

Under Windows Seven, when a new device is detected, the default behavior (if
not changed by an administrator) is to search drivers thanks to Windows
Update first if an internet connection is up (mostly our case).
Unfortunately, this process can take quite some time (before failing if not
found) or installing drivers with an incorrect version number for us whereas
we specifically pre-installed the correct ones. It appears this behavior can
be changed manually through 'Configuration Panel -> System and security ->
System -> Advanced system properties -> Hardware -> Device installation
settings'.

Our question is : Is there any way to modify temporarily the default
behavior during our installation process to first check locally for compliant
drivers and then go on Windows Update if not found ? And if not, is there
another way to solve our issue