From: Mark on
My question is about the Shannon bound..

The Shannon bound tells us the upper limit of information capacity for
a given AWGN channel bandwidth and and available power. For any
given AWGN channel BW there is an optimum modulation order and coding
to get the best throughput for a given available power. The Shannon
bound tells us this upper limit of capacity for that AWGN channel.

What about a dispersive channel with multipath. Does the Shannon
bound apply to these channels as well or is there a different
fundamental lower limit to the channel capacity due to multipath?

If there is a fundamental lower limit, is there an analytical
experssion for the new lower limit? (assuming the multipath can be
quantified)

thanks

Mark

From: Rune Allnor on
On 7 apr, 16:11, Mark <makol...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> My question is about the Shannon bound..
>
> The Shannon bound tells us the upper limit of information capacity for
> a given  AWGN channel bandwidth and and available power.  For any
> given AWGN channel BW there is an optimum modulation order and coding
> to get the best throughput for a given available power.  The Shannon
> bound tells us this upper limit of capacity for that AWGN channel.
>
> What about a dispersive channel with multipath.  Does the Shannon
> bound apply to these channels as well or is there a different
> fundamental lower limit to the channel capacity due to multipath?
>
> If there is a fundamental lower limit, is there an analytical
> experssion for the new lower limit? (assuming the multipath can be
> quantified)

The multipath will introduce a noise source correlated with
the signal of interest, which will not improve transmission.
From there on, it will be a question about the exact nature
of the multipath scenario, i.e. whether the main parameters
are known or not (e.g. Tx/Rx heights above a reflecting plane),
and random factors (e.g. terrain features or other surface
roughness of the reflecting plane).

Similar arguments apply to the dispercive case.

So it might be wise to view the Shannon limit as an absolutely
best case in the ideal scenario, and then introduce scenario
parameters as further limitations to be examined on a case
by case basis.

Rune
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Mark wrote:

> My question is about the Shannon bound..
>
> The Shannon bound tells us the upper limit of information capacity for
> a given AWGN channel bandwidth and and available power. For any
> given AWGN channel BW there is an optimum modulation order and coding
> to get the best throughput for a given available power. The Shannon
> bound tells us this upper limit of capacity for that AWGN channel.
>
> What about a dispersive channel with multipath. Does the Shannon
> bound apply to these channels as well or is there a different
> fundamental lower limit to the channel capacity due to multipath?

Multipath is just a linear filter. If multipath is perfectly accounted
for on transmit and receive sides, you calculate the Shannon limit by
integration through the bandwidth. However, the estimate of the channel
is always imperfect, and you can account for that imperfection as the
equvalent reduction in the SNR.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

From: Marco.Pausini on
Actually the answer is a bit more complicated.

The capacity of a time-invariant multipath channel is not given by a single
formula, but it depends on what the transmitter and receiver know about the
channel. Also, the definition of channel capacity for fading channels is
not unique. Finally, capacity of a time-varying multipath channel is
unknown in general, although it can be approximated.

For an introduction to this topic, refer to "Wireless Communications", A.
Goldsmith, Chapter 4.

Marco
From: Mark on
On Apr 8, 4:55 am, "Marco.Pausini"
<marco.pausini(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually the answer is a bit more complicated.
>
> The capacity of a time-invariant multipath channel is not given by a single
> formula, but it depends on what the transmitter and receiver know about the
> channel. Also, the definition of channel capacity for fading channels is
> not unique. Finally, capacity of a time-varying multipath channel is
> unknown in general, although it can be approximated.
>
> For an introduction to this topic, refer to "Wireless Communications", A.
> Goldsmith, Chapter 4.
>
> Marco

thanks to all for the comments...

It seems if the receiver can sort out the mess, the more rays you get
the more signal power you get so in theory the channel capacity should
improve... of course in practice, it's a mess..

Mark