From: MWHCrew on
I have a laptop that I don't have a cd/dvd drive for. I want to rip
some DVDs to it for some traveling I'm doing, so I downloaded WinX
Platinum DVD Ripper, but while it shows the files in the folder on the
drive, it doesn't play the video and says it can't find the drive. Is
this possible to do? I mapped the drive onto the laptop, and it's the
same story, I can see the files but can't play anything. Thanks!
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Some functions of mapped DVD drives and its software do not work over
Networks (it is an issue of the cache location).
You are better of doing what ever you need to do on the computer with the
drive and then copy the media files to the laptop.
On the laptop you can use for some files (depending on the format) the
Windows media Player.
Or get this free program it can play almost any format,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli2/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: MWHCrew on
On Oct 31, 8:16 pm, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <j...(a)discussiongroup.com>
wrote:
> Hi
> Some functions of mapped DVD drives and its software do not work over
> Networks (it is an issue of the cache location).
> You are better of doing what ever you need to do on the computer with the
> drive and then copy the media files to the laptop.
> On the laptop you can use for some files (depending on the format) the
> Windows media Player.
> Or get this free program it can play almost any format,http://sourceforge..net/projects/guliverkli2/
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "MWHCrew" <megha...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have a laptop that I don't have a cd/dvd drive for. I want to rip
> > some DVDs to it for some traveling I'm doing, so I downloaded WinX
> > Platinum DVD Ripper, but while it shows the files in the folder on the
> > drive, it doesn't play the video and says it can't find the drive. Is
> > this possible to do? I mapped the drive onto the laptop, and it's the
> > same story, I can see the files but can't play anything. Thanks!

Oh I see, so rip them to the desktop then copy the files to the
laptop? I never thought of that. Thanks!
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Yap, that is the best way to it.
If you do not want to copy every thing on the Laptop you cam play the files
after they were ripped and saved through a map drive, but the actual
generation/ripping of the files usually has to be done on the computer with
the physical DVD/CD.