From: doug blaisdell on
Googled all over the place. No luck, so here I am.

Switching to Linux but want to share some windows partitions (FAT)
mounted on an Ubuntu server from an Ubuntu client, over a wireless
connection in a small home network. Succeeded mounting linux shares
from the client but not the windows shares (permissions errors or
"unrecognized share type"). All shares are served by Samba, all have
user accounts and passwords. smbclient and smbmount were used on the
client to attempt to mount the shares.

Both machines are dual boot, and I'm able to share and print over the
network with XP running on both machines.

OS: both machines: Lucid Lynx
From: mjt on
On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:45:37 -0700 (PDT)
doug blaisdell <doug.blaisdell(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Googled all over the place. No luck, so here I am.
>
> Switching to Linux but want to share some windows partitions (FAT)
> mounted on an Ubuntu server from an Ubuntu client, over a wireless
> connection in a small home network. Succeeded mounting linux shares
> from the client but not the windows shares (permissions errors or
> "unrecognized share type"). All shares are served by Samba, all have
> user accounts and passwords. smbclient and smbmount were used on the
> client to attempt to mount the shares.
>
> Both machines are dual boot, and I'm able to share and print over the
> network with XP running on both machines.
>
> OS: both machines: Lucid Lynx

Can you clarify something ... you mention "want to share
some windows partitions (FAT) mounted on an Ubuntu server" ...
and then mention the machines are duel-boot ...

a) For the Ubuntu server - is a FAT partition mounted
from a local partition(s) while the server is running?
And the FAT partition(s) that is mounted is what you
want to share?

IOW, on the hard drive (the Ubuntu server is running),
the partition /dev/hda1 is the FAT partition and the
/dev/hda2 partition is for Ubuntu and /dev/hda1 is
mounted at "/windows/c" and you want to share that
mount point (/windows/c)

....or...
b) You have a machine that is booted into XP on the
network and you want to share FAT partition(s)
while that XP box is running

.... or ...
Both (a) and (b)

--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a

From: doug blaisdell on
On Jul 11, 9:13 pm, mjt <myswtestYOURSH...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 11:45:37 -0700 (PDT)
>
> doug blaisdell <doug.blaisd...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Googled all over the place. No luck, so here I am.
>
> > Switching to Linux but want to share some windows partitions (FAT)
> > mounted on an Ubuntu server from an Ubuntu client, over a wireless
> > connection in a small home network. Succeeded mounting linux shares
> > from the client but not the windows shares (permissions errors or
> > "unrecognized share type"). All shares are served by Samba, all have
> > user accounts and passwords. smbclient and smbmount were used on the
> > client to attempt to mount the shares.
>
> > Both machines are dual boot, and I'm able to share and print over the
> > network with XP running on both machines.
>
> > OS: both machines: Lucid Lynx
>
> Can you clarify something ... you mention "want to share
> some windows partitions (FAT) mounted on an Ubuntu server" ...
> and then mention the machines are duel-boot ...
>
> a) For the Ubuntu server - is a FAT partition mounted
>    from a local partition(s) while the server is running?
>    And the FAT partition(s) that is mounted is what you
>    want to share?

I was wrong about FAT. They're NTFS partitions. /dev/hda1 is
the windows drive, with C: and D: NTFS partitions.

/dev/hda2 has an NTFS partition (E:) and a Linux partition. I'm trying
to access partitions D: and E: from Ubuntu.

>    IOW, on the hard drive (the Ubuntu server is running),
>    the partition /dev/hda1 is the FAT partition and the
>    /dev/hda2 partition is for Ubuntu and /dev/hda1 is
>    mounted at "/windows/c" and you want to share that
>    mount point (/windows/c)

Correct, as above.

> ...or...
> b) You have a machine that is booted into XP on the
>    network and you want to share FAT partition(s)
>    while that XP box is running

No on b). The object is to have both machines running Ubuntu most of
the time, *but* to keep them dual boot for the occasional hour or two
I might need an irreplaceable XP 3rd party program.