From: markus.zebisch on
Hello,

I am interested in developing SharePoint Features for Windows SharePoint
Services.

My SharePoint Services are running on a hosted Windows 2003 Webserver.

Is it possible to install the WSS on a XP or Vista Computer?
I tried to install but it is doesn't work! Also the SharePoint SDK isn't
running on my notebook.

Do I really need a SERVER to develop SharePoint???

Regards,

Markus

From: Mike Walsh on
You can only install WSS 3.0 on Windows Server 2003. It will be possible to
install on Vista *Server* when that comes out.

The present Vista and XPPro are not possible as hosts for WSS 3.0.

You don't need a Server to develop but it is better to develop on a server
OS based PC and you must in any case have access to WSS 3.0 running on a
server even if you develop on a client running for instance XPPro.

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ http://www.wssfaq.com
No private e-mail please.

From: BeigeBond on
You can set up a Virtual PC under XP Pro that runs Win 2003 and do
your development in that staging environment. Yes, you need a licensce
for Win2003, but you can get a VPC image from Microsoft a "trial"
version that's good for 120 days I think (check their site). In fact I
think you can get a MOSS trial that way...

More and more, the only way to do serious development is to chip in
for an MSDN subscription -- then all that stuff comes to you magically
as if from Heaven (OK, a subscription-based Heaven).