From: Aikiart on
Good day,

I'm trying to learn Sharepoint and have installed it on a test server. When
I installed, I mistakenly did not select standalone installation, as a
consequence, i've had to manually create my SSP. I'm using Sybex, MCTS
Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 Configuration by Pyles, to understand
and train. In chapter IV, he is discussing site collections and doing a
comparision between the default & admin portal. I've got the admin installed
and working and was wondering whether it's possible to create a default
portal after the fact? I've created a personal site, for my login, but it
does not have the full features or tabs of the default portal.

Thanks
Art
From: spconsultant on
On Jan 4, 8:37 am, Aikiart <Aiki...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I'm trying to learn Sharepoint and have installed it on a test server.  When
> I installed, I mistakenly did not select standalone installation, as a
> consequence, i've had to manually create my SSP.   I'm using Sybex, MCTS
> Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server 2007 Configuration by Pyles, to understand
> and train.  In chapter IV, he is discussing site collections and doing a
> comparision between the default & admin portal.  I've got the admin installed
> and working and was wondering whether it's possible to create a default
> portal after the fact?  I've created a personal site, for my login, but it
> does not have the full features or tabs of the default portal.
>
> Thanks
> Art

From Admin menu, go to the Applicaitons Menue, Create a web
application.
Be sure to read the feedback and do an IISRESET /noforce after
creating the web appp,
before creating the site collection. Then create aa site collection
(use the team site
template as it is what the defualt web site uses in a single server
configuration).