From: Sanford Aranoff on
XP SP3, desktop connected to a printer and the Internet via
a router with a cable. Everything is fine.

My wife has a laptop. Gets Internet wireless fine.

I set up a network for the printer, and she was able to
print from her computer. My computer is on, and she is
wireless. Everything is fine.

Suddenly she cannot print, although I can. She thinks that
she plugged her computer into the router with the cable and
this may have caused the problem. This does not seem logical
to me.

I am trying to reset things, but am not sure what to do. In
my Printers and Faxes I have two printers: hp deskjet 940c
and hp deskjet 940c Color. Properties: Share this printer.
Each has a different shared name. Port LPT1, Printer Port. I
understand this is all I have to do. Is there anything else?

In the laptop Printers and Faxes the printer hp deskjet
940c. Printer properties cannot be displayed. What do we
have to do with the laptop? Delete printer and add printer?
If so, what parameters do we have to add?

Thanks.
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
Assume the printer connects to your desktop, can she ping your computer by
IP? If yes, can she ping it by name? If not, check firewall settings.

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

From: Ken Tukyfriedturkey on

"Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff(a)analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
> XP SP3, desktop connected to a printer and the Internet via
> a router with a cable. Everything is fine.
>
> My wife has a laptop. Gets Internet wireless fine.
>
> I set up a network for the printer, and she was able to
> print from her computer. My computer is on, and she is
> wireless. Everything is fine.
>
> Suddenly she cannot print, although I can. She thinks that
> she plugged her computer into the router with the cable and
> this may have caused the problem. This does not seem logical
> to me.
>
> I am trying to reset things, but am not sure what to do. In
> my Printers and Faxes I have two printers: hp deskjet 940c
> and hp deskjet 940c Color. Properties: Share this printer.
> Each has a different shared name. Port LPT1, Printer Port. I
> understand this is all I have to do. Is there anything else?
>
> In the laptop Printers and Faxes the printer hp deskjet
> 940c. Printer properties cannot be displayed. What do we
> have to do with the laptop? Delete printer and add printer?
> If so, what parameters do we have to add?
>
> Thanks.

Delete the printer in the laptop Printer and Faxes and use the configure
printer wizard to set-up the network printer again.

From: Sanford Aranoff on
Ken Tukyfriedturkey wrote:

> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff(a)analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
> > XP SP3, desktop connected to a printer and the Internet via
> > a router with a cable. Everything is fine.
> >
> > My wife has a laptop. Gets Internet wireless fine.
> >
> > I set up a network for the printer, and she was able to
> > print from her computer. My computer is on, and she is
> > wireless. Everything is fine.
> >
> > Suddenly she cannot print, although I can. She thinks that
> > she plugged her computer into the router with the cable and
> > this may have caused the problem. This does not seem logical
> > to me.
> >
> > I am trying to reset things, but am not sure what to do. In
> > my Printers and Faxes I have two printers: hp deskjet 940c
> > and hp deskjet 940c Color. Properties: Share this printer.
> > Each has a different shared name. Port LPT1, Printer Port. I
> > understand this is all I have to do. Is there anything else?
> >
> > In the laptop Printers and Faxes the printer hp deskjet
> > 940c. Printer properties cannot be displayed. What do we
> > have to do with the laptop? Delete printer and add printer?
> > If so, what parameters do we have to add?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Delete the printer in the laptop Printer and Faxes and use the configure
> printer wizard to set-up the network printer again.

Doesn't work. I think that I may have disabled a critical
service. Which services must be enabled on the desktop and
laptops?
From: Ken Tukyfriedturkey on

> Ken Tukyfriedturkey wrote:
>>
>> "Sanford Aranoff" <aranoff(a)analysis-knowledge.com> wrote in message
>> > XP SP3, desktop connected to a printer and the Internet via
>> > a router with a cable. Everything is fine.
>> >
>> > My wife has a laptop. Gets Internet wireless fine.
>> >
>> > I set up a network for the printer, and she was able to
>> > print from her computer. My computer is on, and she is
>> > wireless. Everything is fine.
>> >
>> > Suddenly she cannot print, although I can. She thinks that
>> > she plugged her computer into the router with the cable and
>> > this may have caused the problem. This does not seem logical
>> > to me.
>> >
>> > I am trying to reset things, but am not sure what to do. In
>> > my Printers and Faxes I have two printers: hp deskjet 940c
>> > and hp deskjet 940c Color. Properties: Share this printer.
>> > Each has a different shared name. Port LPT1, Printer Port. I
>> > understand this is all I have to do. Is there anything else?
>> >
>> > In the laptop Printers and Faxes the printer hp deskjet
>> > 940c. Printer properties cannot be displayed. What do we
>> > have to do with the laptop? Delete printer and add printer?
>> > If so, what parameters do we have to add?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>>
>> Delete the printer in the laptop Printer and Faxes and use the configure
>> printer wizard to set-up the network printer again.
>
> Doesn't work. I think that I may have disabled a critical
> service. Which services must be enabled on the desktop and
> laptops?

shared printer on the desktop...

otherwise try unloading and reloading the Hp on the desktop.

ps HP are notorious for their problems.