From: Jackie on
Hello,

I am playing a bit with shell extensions and I am unable to figure out
one thing.

When you drag a file in one folder and drop it onto the background of
the same folder, I would like to to handle that and insert an item into
the context menu. I assumed it would be easy to do with a drag-and-drop
handler in the Directory\Background\DragDropHandlers subkey in the
registry, however...

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144067(v=VS.85).aspx ...
Subkey: Directory\Background
Possible Handlers: Shortcut Menu only

It says that's the only possible handler. No drag-and-drop handler
possible, in other words. That's (not very surprisingly) also the same
result I got from testing it. WinRAR does this. Strangely enough (to
me), on a 64-bit system, it is done by RarExt.dll and not RarExt64.dll.

Any ideas on how to do do this properly?

Since it's already way past my bed time and I'll probably be stuck with
this for a while, it's a good time for me to get some sleep and check
back later.

Thanks in advance! :)

--
Regards,