From: srikanth on
Hi All,
I need some help to develop a script which needs to open a browser
with speicifed URL and get the response back.
Right now I am using xdg-open 'http://www.google.com'. Here i am using
xdg-open because of they need to open in my default set browser.
Here I want to specify all the URLs in a text file. My script should
need to fetch the url from that input file and open in a browser and
get back the result.
Ex: If the site loads perfectly then it should say 'OK'. If the site
show Error 404 then it should specify Error 404 etc..
It would be thanks ful if any one can please help me out from this
problem.

Thanks in advance.
From: srikanth on
On May 26, 10:36 pm, srikanth <srikanth0...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I need some help to develop a script which needs to open a browser
> with speicifed URL and get the response back.
> Right now I am using xdg-open 'http://www.google.com'. Here i am using
> xdg-open because of they need to open in my default set browser.
> Here I want to specify all the URLs in a text file. My script should
> need to fetch the url from that input file and open in a browser and
> get back the result.
> Ex: If the site loads perfectly then it should say 'OK'. If the site
> show Error 404 then it should specify Error 404 etc..
> It would be thanks ful if any one can please help me out from this
> problem.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Any alternate suggestions will also help me a lot.
From: Bit Twister on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:09:45 -0700 (PDT), srikanth wrote:

>> Here I want to specify all the URLs in a text file. My script should
>> need to fetch the url from that input file and open in a browser and
>> get back the result.
>
> Any alternate suggestions will also help me a lot.

I use wget or html2text depending on what I want to retrieve.
Other apps for fetching web site contents, curl, axel, aria2
From: Allodoxaphobia on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 18:24:14 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 11:09:45 -0700 (PDT), srikanth wrote:
>
>>> Here I want to specify all the URLs in a text file. My script should
>>> need to fetch the url from that input file and open in a browser and
>>> get back the result.
>>
>> Any alternate suggestions will also help me a lot.
>
> I use wget or html2text depending on what I want to retrieve.
> Other apps for fetching web site contents, curl, axel, aria2

And, `lynx --dump --nolist http://example.com/`

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
From: bsh on
srikanth <srikanth0...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I need some help to develop a script which needs to open a browser
> with speicifed URL and get the response back.
> Right now I am using xdg-open 'http://www.google.com'. Here i am using
> xdg-open because of they need to open in my default set browser.
> Here I want to specify all the URLs in a text file. My script should
> need to fetch the url from that input file and open in a browser and
> get back the result.
> Ex: If the site loads perfectly then it should say 'OK'. If the site
> show Error 404 then it should specify Error 404 etc..
> It would be thanks ful if any one can please help me out from this
> problem.

Here are what scripts used to be applicable for the common desire
to remotely control the only available Web browser, netscape(1).

netsc.sh: "control netscape"
http://software.dreissig.net

get-runnning-netscape: "print info about URLS netscape(1) windows"
http://cgd.sdf-eu.org/a/scripts/xutils/get-runnning-netscape

netscape.ksh: "netscape(1) frontend"
ftp://ftp.frontec.se/pub/cde/bin/Netscape
ftp://ftp.frontec.se/pub/cde/bin/netscape-open

netscape.sh: "netscape(1) frontend"
http://www.an-netz.de/html-news/freshmeat/archiv/2000-Jun-14/59.html

pnetcat.py
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~dstromberg/pnetcat.html

And finally, to your point:

google.ksh: "perform google.com query: utilizes mozilla(1)"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gerardvw/HOME/ksh_settings/functions/google

Of course, there is always the fallback of network access, netcat, and
all
of its familiar descendents in interpreted languages, including
shellscript:

netcat.c: "NETwork CAT"
http://netcat.sf.net/

netcat.pl: "simple netcat(1) clone"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gerardvw/HOME/bin/netcat.pl

netpipe.c:
http://www.blaess.fr/christophe/logiciels/src/netpipe.html

netcat:
http://mirbsd.bsdadvocaccy.org/cvs.cgi/src/usr.bin/nc

netpipes.c: "make TCP/IP streams usable in shell scripts"
http://sources.isc.org/network/utils/netpipes/netpipes4.1-export.txt
ftp://ftp.purplefrog.com/pub/netpipes/
http://www.cryptography.org/

socat.: "enhanced netcat(1)"
http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/

Ncat.: "compact/portable/enhanced netcat(1) clone"
http://sf.net/projects/nmap-ncat/

nc_small.c: "mini-netcat"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gerardvw/HOME/src/nc_small.c

netcat.c: "netcat(1) clone"
http://aplawrence.com/KevinSmith/netcat/netcat.c

netcat.c: "GNU netcat(1)"
http://sf.net/projects/netcat/

netcat.pl: "netcat(1) clone"
http://backpan.perl.org/authors/id/G/GR/GRAHJENK/netcat.pl

netcat.pl: "netcat(1) clone"
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gerardvw/HOME/bin/netcat.pl

cryptcat.: "netcat(1) with encryption"
http://farm9.org/Cryptcat/

nettee.: "NETwork TEE: derived-from dolly"
http://saf.bio.caltech.edu/nettee.html

"sock.c": "network sockets"
ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/mj/net/sock-1.1.tar.gz

Of which there are quite a few, as you can see... but since
you mention shell, DGK and GSF wrote hurl, an ultra-portable
do-it-anyway-you-can netcat(1):

hurl.{sh,ksh93}: "copy URL to stdout"
<AST-INIT>/src/cmd/INIT/hurl.sh # that is, within ksh93(1) dist
package
http://public.research.att.com/~gsf/man/man1/hurl.html

The following scripts are not checked for accessibility.

> Thanks in advance.

You're welcome!

=Brian