From: Frank Adam on
On 29 Nov 2006 23:01:06 -0800, neilanessa(a)msn.com wrote:

>Shell wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 08:50:38 GMT, erewhon(a)nowhere.uk (J French)
>> stated...and I replied:
>>
>> >Do you have the downloadable API Guide (packed with examples) from
>> >http://www.mentalis.org/agnet/
>> >
>> >That is my second port of call when figuring out APIs
>> >
>> >There is also a fair number of sites with canned examples
>> >- Randy Birch's http://vbnet.mvps.org/
>> >is very good
>> >

>> Well, now that I've looked it over I have the latest API Viewer (from
>> AllAPI?). I've had the Guide (v3.7) for some time and you're right,
>> it is a great source for examples of usage. I've also been to Randy's
>> site, not the vbnet one though, http://vb.mvps.org/ Randy has been a
>> real help on many occasions...even when he was fooling around with
>> those famous one-liners. <g>
>>
>> I learned to program in high school (in '72) with a made up ASM style
>> language where we were taught logic puzzles. I made a career out of
>> it with the Navy, coding COBOL on Univac 1100 systems. I've only, in
>> the last 6 years, started programming in VB (5 then 6). So I've had
>> to pretty much throw away all that old stuff and learn all new. This
>> group has been my biggest resource for that. One thing I learned long
>> ago is that I'll never stop learning...or at least when I do I'll be
>> dead ;)
>>
>> Shell
>
>COBOL: I think I got one of those from Santa last year!

Does it itch ? If yes, it wasn't Cobol..
Always remember to first clear all variables and never handle members
without an appropriate wrapper. A subsequent forced garbage collection
is encouraged, although the complete clearing or deletion of all
members is considered to be a bit over the top.. ;-)

HTH.

--

Regards, Frank
From: Shell on
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:30:45 +1100, fajp(a)xxxxoptushome.com.au (Frank
Adam) stated...and I replied:

>Always remember to first clear all variables and never handle members
>without an appropriate wrapper. A subsequent forced garbage collection

That would be a "dump" (one of those would sometimes use up a box of
tab stock, but while in the gov we didn't care much for trees)

>is encouraged, although the complete clearing or deletion of all
>members is considered to be a bit over the top.. ;-)

Just a bit? I thought it was closer to a word...On Univac systems we
used the Field Data character set and that was presented in Octal. So
a "word" was 6 bits (2 - 3 bit characters).

Yes, it helps a lot!

Shell
From: J French on
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 03:25:54 GMT, Shell <drshell(a)mindspring.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>Well, now that I've looked it over I have the latest API Viewer (from
>AllAPI?). I've had the Guide (v3.7) for some time and you're right,
>it is a great source for examples of usage.

I find it invaluable

>I've also been to Randy's
>site, not the vbnet one though, http://vb.mvps.org/ Randy has been a
>real help on many occasions...even when he was fooling around with
>those famous one-liners. <g>

Ah, it is Rick Rothstein that is the king of one liners <g>

>I learned to program in high school (in '72) with a made up ASM style
>language where we were taught logic puzzles. I made a career out of
>it with the Navy, coding COBOL on Univac 1100 systems. I've only, in
>the last 6 years, started programming in VB (5 then 6). So I've had
>to pretty much throw away all that old stuff and learn all new. This
>group has been my biggest resource for that. One thing I learned long
>ago is that I'll never stop learning...or at least when I do I'll be
>dead ;)

I started in 1977 in APL on a Teletype, then got into Micros the next
year.

I stuck to MSDOS until 1996 when I was forced into using Windows,
first VB then within a couple of weeks Delphi as I needed to get into
ASM

A heck of a lot of my DOS BASIC code ported straight over to VB, but
it took me some years to realize what VB was really about.

Like you, I find these NGs really useful, mainly as a source of ideas
to investigate, although I've been dug out of a deep hole a few times.
From: Shell on
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:25:25 GMT, erewhon(a)nowhere.uk (J French)
stated...and I replied:

>Ah, it is Rick Rothstein that is the king of one liners <g>

I had a feeling I was wrong before I posted that...speaking of
one-liners. I was writing a Cobol program for a Health and Safety
program on a base here in CA where I needed to do multiple multi-level
searches. It was 3 searches on 3 arrays, one was 2 dimension the
other two were three dimension. I wrote the whole thing, nested and
without that period, for 3 full pages (60 lines per page). After I
got it working I broke it up into 3 performed paragraphs and called
each from the prior. Once broken up I found it lots easier to both
see what was being done and tweek it here and there for effect. But,
it was much easier to write first time through as a one-liner.

If you're interested I'll tell you about the time I won a bet over a
computer (Univac 1000/74) that would run a program with differing
results depending on the workload. I was told "A computer can never
run a program differently from one time to the next"...I proved him
wrong. <g>
From: J French on
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:14:31 GMT, Shell <drshell(a)mindspring.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>I had a feeling I was wrong before I posted that...speaking of
>one-liners. I was writing a Cobol program for a Health and Safety
>program on a base here in CA where I needed to do multiple multi-level
>searches. It was 3 searches on 3 arrays, one was 2 dimension the
>other two were three dimension. I wrote the whole thing, nested and
>without that period, for 3 full pages (60 lines per page). After I
>got it working I broke it up into 3 performed paragraphs and called
>each from the prior. Once broken up I found it lots easier to both
>see what was being done and tweek it here and there for effect. But,
>it was much easier to write first time through as a one-liner.

Yes, we call that 'code combing', write something that works, then
keep going through the code with a comb until it is idiot simple to
undertand.
- much better than 'fiddle and forget'
eg: get it working and move on

>If you're interested I'll tell you about the time I won a bet over a
>computer (Univac 1000/74) that would run a program with differing
>results depending on the workload. I was told "A computer can never
>run a program differently from one time to the next"...I proved him
>wrong. <g>

I'm interested - please do.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4