From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:49:49 -0400 "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy(a)druid.net>
wrote:

> Python is executible pseudocode.

I don't know about you, but if I didn't know this to be praise, it'd
sound like an insult to me. As in "Timecube is expendable
pseudoscience".

Phrases like "Your mother [has property x]" have the same effect on me,
no matter how flattering ascribing [property x] to someone might
actually be.

"Your mother is executable pseudocode."
See?

No, I don't have a lot to do right now, why do you ask? ;)
/W

--
INVALID? DE!

From: geremy condra on
On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Josef Tupag <joseftupag(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been programming (when I do program) mainly in Perl for the last 10
> years or so. But I've been itching to learn a new language for a while now,
> and the two near the top of the list are Ruby and Python.

My advice is to learn something *really different* while you've got the itch.
Work with Forth or (my favorite non-Python language) Haskell for six
months and then come back to things like Python or Ruby- IME it helps
to highlight where there are actual differences between languages and
where there's just minor variations in approach.

Geremy Condra
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/22/10 3:35 PM, geremy condra wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Josef Tupag <joseftupag(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been programming (when I do program) mainly in Perl for the last 10
>> years or so. But I've been itching to learn a new language for a while now,
>> and the two near the top of the list are Ruby and Python.
>
> My advice is to learn something *really different* while you've got the itch.
> Work with Forth or (my favorite non-Python language) Haskell for six
> months and then come back to things like Python or Ruby- IME it helps
> to highlight where there are actual differences between languages and
> where there's just minor variations in approach.

I second Forth. Learning and using that was -- slightly painful, but
really invigorating. And I also second learning a functional language
(though I don't know if I'd inflict Haskell on anyone).

It bends your brain and makes you think in a different way. The mental
toolbox expands. New possibilities suddenly occur to you down the road
when you return to Python (or Perl, even) for some sane, regular sort of
coding.

Learning new languages = good.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: John Bokma on
geremy condra <debatem1(a)gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Josef Tupag <joseftupag(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been programming (when I do program) mainly in Perl for the last 10
>> years or so. But I've been itching to learn a new language for a while now,
>> and the two near the top of the list are Ruby and Python.
>
> My advice is to learn something *really different* while you've got the itch.
> Work with Forth or (my favorite non-Python language) Haskell for six
> months and then come back to things like Python or Ruby- IME it helps
> to highlight where there are actual differences between languages and
> where there's just minor variations in approach.

Good advice. While I have been exposed to functional programming 16+
years ago, I am reading up on Haskell, and learing a bit of Lisp (Emacs
Lisp).

--
John Bokma j3b

From: rantingrick on

Quotes for this thread...

On Jun 22, 4:20 am, James Mills <prolo...(a)shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> I find Ruby (compared to Python) to be a syntactical rip-off and
> a bad one at that. Some things in Ruby aren't nearly as simple or
> as concise as you would find in Python.

---

On Jun 22, 4:29 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic...(a)sequans.com>
wrote:
> This is a python list, fully dedicated to our dutch semi God. So how can
> you even immagine that someone here will suggest you to go for rub...
> sorry I can't prononce this blasphemous name.

---

On Jun 22, 5:02 am, lkcl <luke.leigh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>  so whilst ruby may be dynamic and compact, it's not beautiful,
> readable or obvious as to what's going on.  i look at a python
> program, and it uses actual... like... y'know... words that make
> sense.  i look at a ruby program and i simply cannot say the same, not
> even if you put code which is supposed to do exactly the same job.

---

On Jun 22, 5:02 am, Thomas Jollans <tho...(a)jollans.com> wrote:
> Ruby has a bunch of strange syntactical zits: I mean, @instancevariable,
> @@classvariable, $GLOBAL, and whatnot?? I don't like them, I find
> Python's syntax cleaner, easier on the eye, and the finger.
>
> To get really religious, and Ruby violates quite a few of these,>>> import this
>
> The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters
...<snip Zen>...
> Ruby is almost only used on Rails and in Japan. We're much more
> universal, and more friendly !

---

On Jun 22, 9:49 am, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da...(a)druid.net> wrote:
> Python is executible pseudocode.

---

....After reading these comments i reminisce back to a time when a good
friend of this community "r" said basically the same things but was
lynched for them. Hmm? Has the community changed? Or is it that these
comments came from someone other than "r" that they go unpunished.
Hmm, riddles in the dark...?

Josef, As for me i would suggest Python (of course). Ruby has a very
very few niceties but all in all Python wins hands down. However if
your a past perl obfuscation nut, or laborious lisper, just skip
strait over to Ruby right away because you ain't gonna like Python's
clean syntax! ;-)