From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
rantingrick wrote:
> ---
>
> On Jun 22, 4:29 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic...(a)sequans.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a python list, fully dedicated to our dutch semi God. So how can
>> you even immagine that someone here will suggest you to go for rub...
>> sorry I can't prononce this blasphemous name.
>>

> ---
>

> ...After reading these comments i reminisce back to a time when a good
> friend of this community "r" said basically the same things but was
> lynched for them.

That's because "r" is the first letter of Ruby, try "p" and everybody
will love you (that makes me think that Perl should be renamed as it
outrageously share the same 1st character with Python).

JM

PS : I have no idea about Ruby, never used it, so I still don't
understand why you quote me in your anti-ruby post
From: hackingKK on
Ruby is a nice language to learn, but I seem to find it less matured.
That might be my own personal perception.
But looking at its success which you can read on Pythonology, I think it
is going to be my choice and of many others for a long time to come.
Besides ruby is more popular due to the rails attached to it.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

From: Dave Angel on
Stephen Hansen wrote:
> On 6/22/10 10:39 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:55:51 -0700, Stephen Hansen
>> <me+list/python(a)ixokai.io> declaimed the following in
>> gmane.comp.python.general:
>>

>>> I second Forth. Learning and using that was -- slightly painful, but
>>>
>> Just pick up any advanced HP programmable calculator... RPL is a
>> close substitute <G>
>>

> That's just a start. The reverse and stack-oriented nature of the
> language makes you have to start thinking in an interesting way, and
> sure, a RPL/stack-calculator can get that for you.
>
> But then going on and doing real programming with it, making your own
> words (functions), ... its fun.

And two places where it differs from nearly every other language: when
you define your own flow-control enhancements to the language (e.g.
WHILE is not a keyword, it's merely a function), and when you finally
understand dodoes (that's "Do Does").

DaveA

From: Terry Reedy on
On 6/23/2010 1:39 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:55:51 -0700, Stephen Hansen
> <me+list/python(a)ixokai.io> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>
>> I second Forth. Learning and using that was -- slightly painful, but
>
> Just pick up any advanced HP programmable calculator... RPL is a
> close substitute<G>

Or study the current CPython rpn stack machine.

>>> from dis import dis

>>> def f(a,b,c): return (a+b)*c

>>> dis(f)
1 0 LOAD_FAST 0 (a)
3 LOAD_FAST 1 (b)
6 BINARY_ADD
7 LOAD_FAST 2 (c)
10 BINARY_MULTIPLY
11 RETURN_VALUE

--
Terry Jan Reedy

From: Rhodri James on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:25:38 +0100, rantingrick <rantingrick(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 22, 9:31 pm, MRAB <pyt...(a)mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>> Napoleon once said "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a
>> mistake."! :-)
>
> And how exactly does your example express itself in a more
> "syntactically-correct" "linear-flow" than the two code snippets i
> provided earlier, hmmm?

You did rather carefully pick an example where Python's syntax flow the
other way round and then present all the least Pythonic paraphrases of the
Ruby functional approach.