From: My on
I was laid off my job in mid-April, and I don't have SAS on my home
machine (Windows XP Home Edition). I'm a SAS programmer with 20+ years
of experience, and have presented papers at several SUGIs and SGFs.
I'd like to take a class to keep up my SAS skills, but without having
SAS on my home computer, I won't be able to "practice". I'd also like
to keep my skills fresh in areas in which I've already worked. Is the
SAS Learning Edition the right one for me. How much is it? I can't
afford much in this economy and don't know how long I'll be out of
work. Comments and alternative suggestions are appreciated.

What can and can't one do with SAS LE? For example, I haven't worked
with PROC REPORT and am thinking of taking a class. I didn't see PROC
REPORT in the list of PROCs available for SAS LE. Should I still get
SAS LE and/or still take the class?

Thanks for you support.
Myra
From: RolandRB on
On Jun 6, 5:35 pm, My <my0...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was laid off my job in mid-April, and I don't have SAS on my home
> machine (Windows XP Home Edition). I'm a SAS programmer with 20+ years
> of experience, and have presented papers at several SUGIs and SGFs.
> I'd like to take a class to keep up my SAS skills, but without having
> SAS on my home computer, I won't be able to "practice". I'd also like
> to keep my skills fresh in areas in which I've already worked. Is the
> SAS Learning Edition the right one for me. How much is it? I can't
> afford much in this economy and don't know how long I'll be out of
> work. Comments and alternative suggestions are appreciated.
>
> What can and can't one do with SAS LE? For example, I haven't worked
> with PROC REPORT and am thinking of taking a class. I didn't see PROC
> REPORT in the list of PROCs available for SAS LE. Should I still get
> SAS LE and/or still take the class?
>
> Thanks for you support.
> Myra

Yes, get SAS/LE. 4.1 has all the procedures. I have it. You are
limited to 1500 observations per data set. I wrote my Spectre clinical
reporting system using SAS/LE.
From: Reeza on
On Jun 6, 8:35 am, My <my0...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I was laid off my job in mid-April, and I don't have SAS on my home
> machine (Windows XP Home Edition). I'm a SAS programmer with 20+ years
> of experience, and have presented papers at several SUGIs and SGFs.
> I'd like to take a class to keep up my SAS skills, but without having
> SAS on my home computer, I won't be able to "practice". I'd also like
> to keep my skills fresh in areas in which I've already worked. Is the
> SAS Learning Edition the right one for me. How much is it? I can't
> afford much in this economy and don't know how long I'll be out of
> work. Comments and alternative suggestions are appreciated.
>
> What can and can't one do with SAS LE? For example, I haven't worked
> with PROC REPORT and am thinking of taking a class. I didn't see PROC
> REPORT in the list of PROCs available for SAS LE. Should I still get
> SAS LE and/or still take the class?
>
> Thanks for you support.
> Myra

Take a course (not necessarily SAS) from a University that provides
the SAS license to students for free. Could be any course type that
could help you out in your future job search, such as computer
programming, accounting or something. Looks good on the resume and
two birds with one stone :).

HTH,
Reeza
From: Patrick on
Hi Myra

Sorry to hear about your situation - and I hope this is soon going to
change.

This is what's included in SAS LE 4.1:
Base SAS 9.1.3 Service Pack 4, SAS/STAT, SAS/GRAPH, SAS/QC, SAS/ETS,
and SAS Enterprise Guide 4.1
http://support.sas.com/learn/le/index.html

I've used the previous version of the SAS Learning edition during a
time where I was not working with SAS software - and I was quite happy
with it.

I also used the SAS learning edition to prepare myself for the SAS
programmer certifications.

I believe it gives you a lot when your purpose is learning\sharpening
your SAS programmer skills.

What also kept my programming skills up-to-date was participating in
this forum here. The SAS learning edition allowed me to test my code
suggestions before I posted them.

For choosing the right course/cert to improve your chances on the job
market:
I would analyse SAS job offers on the web for the key SAS skills
emloyers are asking for. For "my" country I've seen that it's often
SAS DI (=developer) or SAS BI (=more the reporting side) or then
analytical/statistical skills with good SAS (or other software like
SPSS) knowledge.

Unfortunately there are no SAS learning editions for SAS DI or SAS BI
and to get some skills/training/certification in one of these areas
might be worth considering in order to "tick the boxes".

HTH
Patrick
From: My on
Thanks for the info. I've got an i'view tomorrow with a hh. If nothing
comes of it, I'll get. btw, it's cheaper on Amazon.com!

My