From: Mel on
Using 2009 deluxe R6 on a XP machine
I used to be able to:
enter payee - enter
enter payment or deposit - enter
hit enter to leave category blank but now it is entering a category and I
have no idea why it picks the one it does. I want it blank.
And no it is not a memorized payee it will even do this if I enter enter
enter enter.
Do not think it used to work this way.
suggestions please.
SG

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Mel.

Seems a box got checked - perhaps unintentionally. I'm running Q2010
Deluxe, but I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed in several years:

In Quicken, click Edit | Preferences | Quicken Preferences, and under
Register, clear the X from the box that says, "Use Automatic
Categorization".

While you are there, you might want to explore some of the other
Preferences. You can customize Quicken in many ways to fit the way YOU want
to use it. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Mel on
Thank you for suggestion R.C but box was clear. I tried setting it on,
closing program then reopen, test, and set back to clear and no effect upon
problem. Seems like that should have done it but didn't.
More help anyone.
Mel

From: John Pollard on
Mel wrote:
> Using 2009 deluxe R6 on a XP machine
> I used to be able to:
> enter payee - enter
> enter payment or deposit - enter
> hit enter to leave category blank but now it is entering a category
> and I have no idea why it picks the one it does. I want it blank.
> And no it is not a memorized payee it will even do this if I enter
> enter enter enter.
> Do not think it used to work this way.
> suggestions please.

I see this in Q2005, Q2008, Q2009 and Q2010; so I don't think it's new.

I believe it's triggered by using the Enter key to move between fields (I
did not see it when I used the Tab key to move between fields).

Based on my quick test, Quicken seems to choose the first category in
alphabetical sequence - tied to whether you enter a withdrawal (lowest
alphabetic expense catgegory), or a deposit (lowest alphabetic income
category).

I can't see any sense to it.

You can tell Intuit in the Quicken Live Community:

https://qlc.intuit.com/app/full_page

and/or their feedback site:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/feedback/

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Mel on

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Mel wrote:
>> Using 2009 deluxe R6 on a XP machine
>> I used to be able to:
>> enter payee - enter
>> enter payment or deposit - enter
>> hit enter to leave category blank but now it is entering a category
>> and I have no idea why it picks the one it does. I want it blank.
>> And no it is not a memorized payee it will even do this if I enter
>> enter enter enter.
>> Do not think it used to work this way.
>> suggestions please.
>

> I see this in Q2005, Q2008, Q2009 and Q2010; so I don't think it's new.
>
> I believe it's triggered by using the Enter key to move between fields (I
> did not see it when I used the Tab key to move between fields).
>
> Based on my quick test, Quicken seems to choose the first category in
> alphabetical sequence - tied to whether you enter a withdrawal (lowest
> alphabetic expense catgegory), or a deposit (lowest alphabetic income
> category).
>
> I can't see any sense to it.
>
> You can tell Intuit in the Quicken Live Community:
>
> https://qlc.intuit.com/app/full_page
>
> and/or their feedback site:
>
> http://quicken.intuit.com/support/feedback/
> > John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

Thanks John I will start forcing myself to use the tab key which I never
tried before. I usually use enter or mouse to move between fields and do not
remember this happening before 2009 version but that might be my poor
memory. I have been updating quicken every 2-3 years since early 1990s
Mel