From: RPage on
I am using Project to represent students who have different phases in their
education. Each student is listed as a Task with 3 phases. I'm using the
split task function to break the GANNT bar into 3 sections. Can I color or
pattern these phases separately?
From: Jack Dahlgren on
I THINK you may be able to programatically, but it is a lot more trouble
than it is worth and may not work.

-Jack Dahlgren

From: John on
In article <03336BD5-DD45-405C-8538-60496FF82777(a)microsoft.com>,
RPage(a)SF <RPage(a)SF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am using Project to represent students who have different phases in their
> education. Each student is listed as a Task with 3 phases. I'm using the
> split task function to break the GANNT bar into 3 sections. Can I color or
> pattern these phases separately?

RPage(a)SF,
Let me confirm Jack's statement. You CAN do what you want but it will
require either manual entry or VBA to populate spare date fields for
each phase. You can then set up separate bar styles that respond to
those spare date fields.

However, I agree with Jack. It seems you are going about this the hard
way. Why not create a summary of three tasks. The summary line is the
student's name and each of the three "tasks" under it are the phases in
that student's education. You can even link them finish-to-start so they
are consecutive. You will still have to define separate bar styles for
each phase, (again, use spare start and finish fields), but setting up
the phases is a whole lot easier than using the split task function.

John
Project MVP
From: RPage on
By using the Summary would each of the three phases be on their own line, or
would they all be on the same line? I need to have them all on the same line,
so as to save space. The split task function is a pain, I agree. Thanks for
your suggestion.

From: John on
In article <1E416DA1-6A4E-4613-B6F4-C18D628487A2(a)microsoft.com>,
RPage(a)SF <RPageSF(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> By using the Summary would each of the three phases be on their own line, or
> would they all be on the same line? I need to have them all on the same line,
> so as to save space. The split task function is a pain, I agree. Thanks for
> your suggestion.

RPage(a)SF,
When created, the three education phases will be on three separate
lines, however if you collapse the summary lines (i.e. student names)
and set up the bar styles as detailed below, you will be able to see
each phase on the student name (i.e. summary) line.

First you will need to go to Format/Bar Styles and create a new set of
bars - first delete all existing bar styles. Create one new bar for each
educational phase. The easiest way to do that is to set the "show
for..." criteria as: FlagX,rolled up,not summary (where X = 1, 2 or 3)
for each bar respectively. Then go to Project/Task Information/General
tab and set each bar to "roll up Gantt bar to summary".

That should give what you want.

John
Project MVP