From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

Oh, I forgot one other feature removed as of Fortran 95,
and applicable here.

The PAUSE statement!

It seems that the early computers were single user, single
task systems and PAUSE made some sense. It allowed the only
user to stop, figure out what the program was doing (likely
using switches and lights on the front panel) then continue on.

In the batch days it made less sense. The OS/360 Fortran compilers
ask the system operator (likely nowhere near the person who
ran the program) to reply.

But as timesharing and interactive programming again became
the usual case, it seems that PAUSE is useful again.
It can't really be that hard to implement (print a message,
wait for a reply, as the standard says).

Oh well.

-- glen
From: Richard Maine on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Gordon Sande <Gordon.Sande(a)eastlink.ca> wrote:
> (really big snip)
>
> > There is
> > no such thing as a mix of F77 and F90 as F77 is a subset of F90 so it
> > is all F90. It may be true that some of you code would be F77 but when
> > it is mixed in with stuff that is only in F90 the result is all F90.
>
> There are a few features in Fortran 77 that were removed in
> Fortran 95.

And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, none of those have the kinds
of subtle interactions that the OP was needlessly concerned about,
making this all nothing but a distraction to a problem that is already
pretty much hopless. (Anyway, I have nothing else useful to contribute
towards the OP's problem based on the data given).

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain