From: Terry Farrell on
But that doesn't stay resident in the same way as Suzanne suggested (and Jay posted a full 'how to' guide). You can also move the QAT to below the Ribbon where it may be easier to note the style and reach the command buttons.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP
"christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com" <u3143(a)uwe> wrote in message news:a8e22f6c96c5a(a)uwe...
Found it-- Alt-H L A displays a box for this.

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

I would suggest that you use Ctrl+Shift+S to display the (non-modal) Apply
Styles dialog. It will always show you the style that is applied to the
paragraph in which the selection is located and every tiem you use that key
combination, the focus is moved to the Style Name control and if you want to
change the style, with the Autocomplete box checked all you have to do is
type enough of the Style Name for it to appear in that control and then
press Enter to apply it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

From: Doug Robbins - Word MVP on
And, when you come back 17,997 years (20007 - 2010) you will find that one
no longer works.

From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
But this requires pressing a keyboard shortcut. If you put the classic
Styles dropdown on the QAT, you can see what style is applied to any
paragraph just by clicking in it.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

From: Doug Robbins - Word MVP on
But the Apply Styles dialog simplifies switching from one style to another.
I actually have a macro run by a button added to the Ribbon (simple to do in
Word 2010) that displays that dialog with one click.