From: MapleE. on
Hi:
I placed one of PCs with XP in the back-room that is further away from
Router/Modem Combo and most of time, ..... at the far right bottom, ....
indicating,
'Signal is Low,' .... or the other time, 'No Signal.'

However, I can access any web-sites as fast as the other PC with XP which is
sitting close to Modem/Router Combo. It says, .... 'Signal is Excellent'

If any of you could explain about it, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks,

From: Frankster on

"MapleE." <someone|@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi:
> I placed one of PCs with XP in the back-room that is further away from
> Router/Modem Combo and most of time, ..... at the far right bottom, ....
> indicating,
> 'Signal is Low,' .... or the other time, 'No Signal.'
>
> However, I can access any web-sites as fast as the other PC with XP which
> is sitting close to Modem/Router Combo. It says, .... 'Signal is
> Excellent'
>
> If any of you could explain about it, I'd truly appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,

Two things.
-The signal strength display is often not very accurate and varies from one
wireless program/adapter to another, even when they are the same distance
from the Wifi.
-The further away you are, the weaker the signal.

Also, if you actually measured the speed of a download you'd then probably
see a difference, if one signal was actually low. It's hard to see on
simply browsing web pages.

-Frank

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
It depends on your Internet Speed.
The Low Wireless signal can be hi enough for low Internet speed.
Example, a normal 802.11g Wireless at close proximity can yield 20Mb/sec.
If at the end of the house it yields only 4Mb/sec., it considered low.
However if your Internet is 3Mb/sec. standard DSL, the Low Wireless Speed is
still higher than the Internet speed.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)