From: rustyfender04 on
Hi all,

I am running XP Home w/SP3, and I have another computer (same OS) networked
together on my LAN. I created a network group for these PCs to share certain
folders and a printer, and I also created a network password for each
machine too.

My concern is, how do you sign-off from the network? I'm not talking about a
network drive here.

Regards.

From: rustyfender04 on
Edit:

I meant to include: How do I sign-off from the network without closing my
programs and logging off, or rebooting?

From: Shenan Stanley on
rustyfender04 wrote:
> I am running XP Home w/SP3, and I have another computer (same OS)
> networked together on my LAN. I created a network group for these
> PCs to share certain folders and a printer, and I also created a
> network password for each machine too.
>
> My concern is, how do you sign-off from the network? I'm not
> talking about a network drive here.

Eh?

If this is not a domain (from the description, it is not) you are a member
of - if you do not have the resource (drive, printer, other computer, etc)
connected - that's it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: rustyfender04 on
Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

My networking experience is not that great.

From: Shenan Stanley on

rustyfender04 wrote:
> Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure I understand what you're
> saying.
> My networking experience is not that great.

Not sure there are simpler terms.

If you are not connected to a shared printer, a shared storage space or in
some other manner actively using the remote system on the network (or them
connected to you) - then there is nothing to log off of...

It's not like you create a printer share and/or a file share and set the
share and file/folder permissions on it and then your other computers just
'know' that those shares are there and connect to it automatically without
you doing some sort of setup on the other computers (script, you map and
remember ther drive letter/printer, etc.) Sure - if these are unhidden
shares then you can browse for them - but seeing them on the network and
actively using them - two different things.

And if you are are using workgroups only - all that is is a convenient way
of grouping/organizing in the end. It's not like a corporate/work domain
where certain things are controlled by servers everytime your machine/user
is seen on the network. At least at the level you are at (Windows XP) - a
workgroup is nothing more than a last name, signifying you are part of that
group... And just like the last name - it is possible someone else in the
world is using it too.

So your answer is 'there is nothing to log off of unless you have connected
to comething - just being *on* the same network as the other computers with
the same workgroup name and such does not mean you are logged into any
special network.'

If that is - not sure yet - what you are asking.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP