From: Jeff Gaines on

I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something happens
nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64 :-(

The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It has
been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's kicked off
by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't run manually either.
I re-booted and all is well again, for how long I don't know.

There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although that's
almost impossible to find your way around.

I also found this morning that another app - one I am writing in VS 2008 -
also failed silently instead of throwing up an error message.

Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Jeff Gaines wrote:
> I am making a serious attempt to use Win7-x64 although something
> happens nearly every day to make me want to go back to XP Pro x64
> :-(
> The latest event is the silent failure of an application to run. It
> has been working for weeks but last night it just didn't run (it's
> kicked off by the task scheduler). I then discovered it wouldn't
> run manually either. I re-booted and all is well again, for how
> long I don't know.
> There is nothing in the event log as far as I can see - although
> that's almost impossible to find your way around.
>
> I also found this morning that another app - one I am writing in VS
> 2008 - also failed silently instead of throwing up an error message.
>
> Is this silent failure a feature of Win7?

What is the first application?

The second - you may want to review the code - if the first is also
something you wrote - same difference.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Jeff Gaines on

It's SmartSync Pro from http://www.smartsync.com/

>The second - you may want to review the code - if the first is also
>something you wrote - same difference.

I live in VS2008 :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
From: Shenan Stanley on
Jeff Gaines wrote:
> It's SmartSync Pro from http://www.smartsync.com/
>
> I live in VS2008 :-)

You may live in VS2008, but you are taking it to visit a completely new
country in Windows 7. ;-) The differences in security alone can mess with
the simplest of scripts to the most complicated of applications.

For SmartSync - if you live in VS2008 - you must know that just because
something stops working, doesn't mean it will make an event log entry or
tell you why. It has to be programmed to do so *or* the issue had to be
caused by something else that was programmed to tell you when it encountered
issues. If you are getting no indications of why a certain program did not
run - I would first investigate the application more closely.

Are you running the latest version?
- Current Version: 3.1 (Build 104 I believe)
- Date of Release: March 29, 2010

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP