From: DarioProgramer on
On Jan 10, 2:35 pm, Francis Glassborow
<francis.glassbo...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Francis Glassborow wrote:
> > DarioProgramer wrote:
> >> I am teaching my self C++ and this program is very simple, but I do
> >> not understand why the cin.getline() command is not working. Thank you
> >> for your help!
>
> > It is but not the way you expect because the immediately previous use of
> > cin has not extracted the most recent carriage return as well as any
> > white space that may have proceeded it. getline90 extracts all up to and
> > including the next carriage return. Think about it.
>
> > Your code also make assumptions that are dangerous. For example, it will
> > incorrectly handle the response from someone living in New York for two
> > reasons. It will enter undefined behaviour if I use it (check the number
> > of letters in my surname)
>
> > C++ provides a safer and IMO much better way to handle words, names etc.
> > Replace the char arrays with string and your program will be much more
> > robust. Deal with the problem that responses may have white space in
> > them (as for New York). Indeed every one of your questions asking for a
> > text response could result in a response with embedded white space.
>
> > Check out std::getstring()
>
> Sorry that should have been:
>
> std::getline(std::istream&, std::string&)
> Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

Thank you all for your help!
I have not tried this yet, I will try it tonight.
The reason I did not know about String or wstring is that I am using a
book to do these problems.
In the book they did not say anything about strings, but use only
char.
I have a feeling I will learn a lot from this forum!
Thank you again.

From: Francis Glassborow on
DarioProgramer wrote:

> Thank you all for your help!
> I have not tried this yet, I will try it tonight.
> The reason I did not know about String or wstring is that I am using a
> book to do these problems.
> In the book they did not say anything about strings, but use only
> char.
> I have a feeling I will learn a lot from this forum!
> Thank you again.

You might also ask what books we would suggest. Books that have you
using antique mechanisms inherited from C rather than C++'s own methods
may not be helping you as much as they should.