From: Johan Förberg on
I was wondering if there exists a simple solution for printing text from
the console. A program that emulates a line-printer on CUPS or a pseudo-
driver which creates a line-printer device so that text files can be
printed easily from the shell. I'm thinking something along the lines of:

$ someprogram > /dev/emulpt

or

$ cat myfile | lprint

where you select some printer as standard printer or provide a printer
name in the command line.

Is there already such a solution which I have missed or can you explain
how a shell script (or otherwise) can be used to print from any other
program in approximately this fashion, please?

Johan Förberg
From: John Hasler on
Johan Förberg writes:
> I was wondering if there exists a simple solution for printing text
> from the console.

lpr
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-11, Johan F?rberg <johan(a)forberg.se> wrote:
> I was wondering if there exists a simple solution for printing text from
> the console. A program that emulates a line-printer on CUPS or a pseudo-
> driver which creates a line-printer device so that text files can be
> printed easily from the shell. I'm thinking something along the lines of:
>
> $ someprogram > /dev/emulpt

lpr filename.txt

cups has a text filter which converts ascii text to printr output.

From: Johan Förberg on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:27:41 +0000, unruh wrote:

> lpr filename.txt
>
> cups has a text filter which converts ascii text to printr output.

Works like a charm! Sorry to have bothered you with something that turned
out to be so simple.

Johan Förberg
From: J G Miller on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 20:08:23 +0000, Johan Förberg wrote:

> I was wondering if there exists a simple solution for printing text from
> the console.

If you want to fancify your text files into something nicer, have
a look at a2ps.

GNU a2ps - 'Anything to PostScript' converter and pretty-printer

GNU a2ps converts files into PostScript for printing or viewing. It uses a
nice default format, usually two pages on each physical page, borders
surrounding pages, headers with useful information (page number, printing
date, file name or supplied header), line numbering, symbol substitution
as well as pretty printing for a wide range of programming languages.

Obviously if you just want to print out a simple ASCII file with no
formatting then

lp -d printer_queue file_name

will do the job.