From: Rahul on
I figured one of the reasons I've still not been able to get the right
order of my eth cards is kudzu. It seems to insist on repacing my
modprobe.conf and ifcfg-eth0 etc. with its own versions and rename mine
with a .bak suffix. Anyone else face this issue? Can I safely disable
kudzu? If not, is there a way around this strange kudzu behaviour?

I am assuming kudzu is the culprit based on googling the phenomenon. Maybe
there are other daemons that will rename modprobe.conf etc.?

--
Rahul

From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 12 May 2010 02:46 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as Rahul wrote...

> I figured one of the reasons I've still not been able to get the right
> order of my eth cards is kudzu. It seems to insist on repacing my
> modprobe.conf and ifcfg-eth0 etc. with its own versions and rename
> mine with a .bak suffix. Anyone else face this issue? Can I safely
> disable kudzu? If not, is there a way around this strange kudzu
> behaviour?
>
> I am assuming kudzu is the culprit based on googling the phenomenon.
> Maybe there are other daemons that will rename modprobe.conf etc.?

I'm not so sure that kudzu is actually required, or things would have to
have changed drastically since the last time I caught it being fired up
after installing a distribution.

It used to be stock in Mandrake/Mandriva, but I haven't been using the
latest releases of that distro anymore. I'm running PCLinuxOS on this
box here, and I don't think it's installed, but if it was, then I'm
sure I must have disabled it from right after installation. Never had
any problems, but then again, I'm not the kind of guy who plugs $DEITY
knows whatever USB device into my computer all the time.

Your mileage may vary. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Rahul on
Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in news:hsd419$3am$12
@news.eternal-september.org:

> I'm not so sure that kudzu is actually required, or things would have to
> have changed drastically since the last time I caught it being fired up
> after installing a distribution.

Thanks! I'll try disabling kudzu.

WHy does Linux have so many subsystems tweaking with my network card order?
There's udev, kudzu, iftab, plus any scripts that are being fired up via
persistant-net-rules etc. It's all super confusing!

--
Rahul
From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 12 May 2010 16:31 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as Rahul wrote...

> Aragorn <aragorn(a)chatfactory.invalid> wrote in news:hsd419$3am$12
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>
>> I'm not so sure that kudzu is actually required, or things would have
>> to have changed drastically since the last time I caught it being
>> fired up after installing a distribution.
>>

> Thanks! I'll try disabling kudzu.
>
> WHy does Linux have so many subsystems tweaking with my network card
> order?
> There's udev, kudzu, iftab, plus any scripts that are being fired up
> via persistant-net-rules etc. It's all super confusing!

That's not Linux, that's the distributions themselves. "udev" is pretty
much the standard for the dynamic population of "/dev" these days -
albeit that it isn't perfect - for systems running a 2.6 kernel; it
didn't exist yet in 2.4, but 2.4 had a similar system called "devfs".

"kudzu" is not just a network-specific thing. It's actually an already
old hardware configurator which looks for new hardware at every boot -
I don't know for sure whether it also has anything to do with
hotplugging but I believe that it doesn't. As far as I know, "kudzu"
is a RedHat-specific thing, which was then also implemented in
RedHat-based distributions such as Mandrake/Mandriva, and RedHat's
testbed Fedora, as well as CentOS (which is a "free" and rebranded
version of RedHat Enterprise Linux).

You also have to keep in mind that there are many developers working on
vary different aspects of the distribution - aspects which sometimes
overlap - and that through the update system, such inconsistencies may
get introduced and may then go by undetected for quite some time just
because they don't cause any problems for the majority of the userbase.
Things that do cause ostensible problems are generally reported through
the distribution-specific bug filing systems and are thus more rapidly
corrected again.