From: Charlie-Boo on
David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2006 14:58:32 -0800, "Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> wrote:

> >>Don't you see the parallel? If |- (|-Q == Q) is extremely bad
> >>notation because the first |- means |- while the second |- refers to
> >>some encoding of provability, then [] ( []Q == Q ) is extremely bad
> >>notation because the first [] means |- while the second [] refers to
> >>some encoding of provability.
>
> No, in standard modal logic people do not use the symbol []
> to mean two different things.

Therefore your comment that my syntax does that is false, as my
expression has the same meaning as the corresponding expression in
Modal Logic - I changed only the syntax (to the less ambiguous |-
instead of [] which has multiple interpretations), leaving the
semantics the same.

It is the same semantics as in Modal Logic - only the symbol is
changed. If my semantics are wrong, then Modal Logic's semantics are
wrong, as they are the same semantics.

Got it??????

Once again you criticise a principle despite there being overwhelming
evidence that it is in common use.

> >> A counterexample that depends on an _actual_ deep theorem is
> >> "better" than a simple and totally elementary counterexample?
> >> Fascinating.
> >
> >Your "proof" says, "suppose P (is an) atomic formula in the
> >predicate calculus. Then P is not provable." This is not
> >well-formed. (It is meaningless.)

By that reasoning, PA is incomplete without regard to whether it is
sound or consistent or not. Just pick an atomic formula and it and its
negation are unprovable. Who needs Godel or Rosser then?

From: David C. Ullrich on
On 22 Jan 2006 19:20:08 -0800, "Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> wrote:

>David C. Ullrich wrote:

>> No, in standard modal logic people do not use the symbol []
>> to mean two different things.
>
>Therefore your comment that my syntax does that is false,

I made that comment because that's what you _said_ it meant.

> as my
>expression has the same meaning as the corresponding expression in
>Modal Logic - I changed only the syntax (to the less ambiguous |-
>instead of [] which has multiple interpretations), leaving the
>semantics the same.
>
>It is the same semantics as in Modal Logic - only the symbol is
>changed. If my semantics are wrong, then Modal Logic's semantics are
>wrong, as they are the same semantics.
>
>Got it??????
>
>Once again you criticise a principle despite there being overwhelming
>evidence that it is in common use.

>> >Your "proof" says, "suppose P (is an) atomic formula in the
>> >predicate calculus. Then P is not provable." This is not
>> >well-formed. (It is meaningless.)
>
>By that reasoning, PA is incomplete without regard to whether it is
>sound or consistent or not. Just pick an atomic formula and it and its
>negation are unprovable. Who needs Godel or Rosser then?
>
>> ************************
>>
>> David C. Ullrich

************************

David C. Ullrich
From: Charlie-Boo on
David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2006 19:20:08 -0800, "Charlie-Boo" <chvol(a)aol.com> wrote:
> >David C. Ullrich wrote:

> >> No, in standard modal logic people do not use the symbol []
> >> to mean two different things.
> >
> >Therefore your comment that my syntax does that is false,
>
> I made that comment because that's what you _said_ it meant.

Too many pronouns. What did I say and what exactly did you interpret
it to mean?