From: Charlie-Boo on
Do we all agree that Computer Science definitely should be formalized?

While the definitions of common terms (e.g. recursively enumerable) are
formal, the manipulations of these concepts (e.g. the derivation of
proofs) is not. Can anybody show a single example of a formal
derivation of a result from any branch of Computer Science? For
example:

1. Program Synthesis: The creation of a computer program based on only
its specifications.

2. The Theory of Computation: A formal derivation of Turing's proof
of the unsolvability of the halting problem.

3. Recursion Theory: A formal proof that there is a program that
outputs itself, or of the Fixed Point theorem or the Recursion theorem.

4. Incompleteness in Logic: A formal derivation of Godel's
Incompleteness theorems or Rosser's improvement or Smullyan's Dual
Form theorem.

Any formalization would include:

A. A formal statement of the theorem or result.
B. The meaning of any such statement.
C. How A corresponds to the statement of the theorem.
D. An algorithm for generating formal statements such as A.
E. A demonstration that D generates A.
F. A demonstration that D generates only true statements.

Curry-Howard, Manna/Waldinger, Boyer/Moore, Modal Logic, Prologue and
TPTP all attempt to do this, but nobody has ever shown any examples of
anything near A-F.

Would we say that formalization is the ultimate goal of every branch of
Computer Science? What problem is not enhanced when expressed
formally?

C-B

From: Alec McKenzie on
"Charlie-Boo" <shymathguy(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Recursion Theory: A formal proof that there is a program that
> outputs itself...

I have in my possession a program that outputs itself. Therefore
there *is* such a program. Are you asking for a better proof
than that?

--
Alec McKenzie
usenet@<surname>.me.uk
From: Peter_Smith on

Charlie-Boo wrote:

>Can anybody show a single example of a formal
> derivation of a result from any branch of Computer Science? For
> example:

> 4. Incompleteness in Logic: A formal derivation of Godel's
> Incompleteness theorems

Well, we know that once the Hilbert-Bernays derivability conditions are
in place, there are easy formal derivation of Con_T --> not-Prov(#G_T),
using # for "the Gödel number of ...).

And starting with Hilbert-Bernays there are textbook outlines of formal
proofs that the derivability conditions hold for theories with Sigma_1
induction. See e.g. Boolos's book.

That looks like a formal derivation to me. What more do you want??

From: Charlie-Boo on
Alec McKenzie wrote:
> "Charlie-Boo" <shymathguy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 3. Recursion Theory: A formal proof that there is a program that
> > outputs itself...
>
> I have in my possession a program that outputs itself. Therefore
> there *is* such a program. Are you asking for a better proof
> than that?

1. That doesn't prove the theorem, which must apply to all languages.
It only says it can be done in that language.

In the CBPL2 programming language, the special variable A is equal to
"W A" and W is the command to write a variable, so the program W A also
outputs itself. But does that prove it is so of all programming
languages?

2. Any single specific proof (such as a specific program to prove that
something is true of one language) is vastly improved if we have a
procedure to produce it and lots of other proofs automatically. Isn't
that obvious?

You haven't formalized a branch of Computer Science. These are at
opposite ends of the spectrum and is described in A-F that is missing
from your proof.

C-B

From: Charlie-Boo on
Peter_Smith wrote:
> Charlie-Boo wrote:
>
> >Can anybody show a single example of a formal
> > derivation of a result from any branch of Computer Science? For
> > example:
>
> > 4. Incompleteness in Logic: A formal derivation of Godel's
> > Incompleteness theorems
>
> Well, we know that once the Hilbert-Bernays derivability conditions are
> in place, there are easy formal derivation of Con_T --> not-Prov(#G_T),
> using # for "the Gödel number of ...).

It looks like you're talking aboiut Rosser's result, but that doesn't
really matter here.

> And starting with Hilbert-Bernays there are textbook outlines of formal
> proofs that the derivability conditions hold for theories with Sigma_1
> induction. See e.g. Boolos's book.
>
> That looks like a formal derivation to me. What more do you want??

A to F:

A. A formal statement of the theorem or result.
B. The meaning of any such statement.
C. How A corresponds to the statement of the theorem.
D. An algorithm for generating formal statements such as A.
E. A demonstration that D generates A.
F. A demonstration that D generates only true statements.

C-B

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Simple yet Profound Metatheorem