From: Rupert on

Charlie-Boo wrote:
> Do we all agree that Computer Science definitely should be formalized?

What's the merit in being completely formal, for any branch of
mathematics? Surely it's enough to convince ourselves that we could
formalize it.

From: Chris Menzel on
On 10 Sep 2006 14:29:13 -0700, Peter_Smith <ps218(a)cam.ac.uk> said:

> Chris Menzel wrote:
>
>> Can that proof be found in their Grundlagen der Mathematik? If so, do
>> you happen to know which volume?
>
> Vol2, pp. 283-340.

Thanks.

From: Charlie-Boo on
Alec McKenzie wrote:

> In which case you must have meant to say "A formal proof that in
> every programming language there is a program that outputs
> itself".
>
> It seems clear to me that that cannot be true

Why?

From: george on

Rupert wrote:
> What's the merit in being completely formal, for any branch of
> mathematics? Surely it's enough to convince ourselves that we could
> formalize it.

The question is surely not so much about the merits
of that approach as the POSSIBLITY. People are not
computers. People in general just don't communicate
in a "completely formal" way. But that does NOT change
the fact that MATH *is* BY DEFINITION *completely* formal;
that is what MAKES it math.

From: george on

Peter_Smith wrote:
> george wrote:
>
> > Godel's original proof was a formal derivation.
>
> No it wasn't. Gödel's original proof was a bit of informal
> mathematics.

The overall outline may have been informal
but this informal shell housed a huge formal
kernel. There is nothing whatsoever informal
about defining a whole bunch of predicates to
construct a Godel sentence. There is nothing
informal about an explicit Godel numbering.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Simple yet Profound Metatheorem
Next: Modal Logic