From: John Thingstad on
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:05:05 +0200, Charlie-Boo <shymathguy(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> george wrote:

>> C-B asks,
>> > Why?
>>
>> Because there are a lot of simple easy-to-define
>> programming languages in which you OBVIOUSLY can't do it,
>> that's why. SOME programming languages are LAME.
>> But despite being right about that,
>
> How in the world can you define "programming language" then?

I think what he means the language has to be Turing complete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

In essence you have to be able to write a Turing machine in the language
and
you also have to be able to have a Turing machine render the same
functionality as the language.

In general with a bit of experience you can see this.
I find it easier to work with lambda calculus than
Turing machines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_calculus

my-recursive functions are Turing complete and thus
it is a optional way of proving it. I find it easier to see
the things a Turing complete language needs.

When languages fail to provide Turing completeness it is usually because
they
only support regular languages.
In particular you need support for 'the pumping theorem'

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=the+pumping+theorem&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

A simple test is: Can you write code to generate all permutations of a
sequence?

From: Charlie-Boo on
Peter_Smith wrote:

> > You can start with A, A formal statement of the theorem or result.
>
> This is in not a cogent response.

Do you agree that a formal proof of a theorem would include the
following?

A. A formal statement of the theorem or result.
B. The meaning of any such statement.
C. How A corresponds to the statement of the theorem.
D. An algorithm for generating formal statements such as A.
E. A demonstration that D generates A.
F. A demonstration that D generates only true statements.

> Hilbert and Bernays indeed showed that Th has a formal
> proof inside P.

Then can you give A-F for Th, Godel's 1st. theorem (any version)?

C-B

From: Charlie-Boo on

Alec McKenzie wrote:
> "Charlie-Boo" <shymathguy(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Alec McKenzie wrote:
> >
> > > In which case you must have meant to say "A formal proof that in
> > > every programming language there is a program that outputs
> > > itself".
> > >
> > > It seems clear to me that that cannot be true
> >
> > Why?
>
> A single counter-example is sufficient: consider a programming
> language for writing screen-savers to display pretty moving
> pictures of coloured patterns, and these moving patterns are the
> only output that a program written in that language is able to
> produce.
>
> Since the program itself is not a moving coloured pattern, it
> follows that no program in that programming language can output
> itself. So not "every programming language...".

What do you call a system that contains a representation for every
recursive function?

C-B

From: Charlie-Boo on
John Thingstad wrote:
> >> Because there are a lot of simple easy-to-define
> >> programming languages in which you OBVIOUSLY can't do it,
> >> that's why. SOME programming languages are LAME.
> >> But despite being right about that,

> > How in the world can you define "programming language" then?

> I think what he means the language has to be Turing complete.

But no, he claims that "lame" (less powerful) languages are
included among "Programming Languages". So I wonder how he defines
what constitutes a Programming Language, then.

You misspelled Oprah.

C-B

From: Peter_Smith on

Charlie-Boo wrote:

> Do you agree that a formal proof of a theorem would include the
> following?
>
> A. A formal statement of the theorem or result.
> B. The meaning of any such statement.
> C. How A corresponds to the statement of the theorem.
> D. An algorithm for generating formal statements such as A.
> E. A demonstration that D generates A.
> F. A demonstration that D generates only true statements.

No. Of course not. By "formal proof" I mean formal proof, as defined in
any standard logic textbook.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Simple yet Profound Metatheorem
Next: Modal Logic