From: dorayme on
In article
<5c84300d-b57e-47f0-b337-ca4d26aa8139(a)o36g2000vbl.googlegroups.co
m>,
Matt Kruse <matt(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 4:19 pm, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> > html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> > hovering the table headings. Thank you.
>
> Check out mine:
>
> http://JavascriptToolbox.com/lib/table/
>
> It does sorting, striping, filtering, and paging in lib.
>
> It's flexible, extensible, and extremely fast. In tests I did at the
> time of writing, I couldn't find any table-sorting solution that was
> faster. Especially in browsers like IE6, where some unconventional
> internal optimizations make a big difference.
>
> It also does things like correctly handling colspans in headers,
> respecting footers & separate tbody's, allowing some tbody's to be
> left unsorted, letting you define your own data type for columns, etc.
>
> If you have any feedback, I would love to hear it!

It looks very good indeed and thanks very much. It does more than
I actually want but it has the features I want. I will study the
documentation and have a go.

--
dorayme
From: dorayme on
In article <hjnp5f$oa4$1(a)newsreader2.utanet.at>,
Gregor Kofler <usenet(a)gregorkofler.com> wrote:

> dorayme meinte:
> > What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> > html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> > hovering the table headings. Thank you.
>
> What do you mean by "best"? (And what is "simplest")?

To explain this would mean explaining about me too much. I don't
want to get too personal at the moment!

> Ive done my own one[1]. The sorting itself is done with JS "native"
> Array.sort() method (which I suppose uses the quicksort algorithm).
>
> Once sorted, the table rows are exchanged accordingly. It's all
> relatively simple (and the script a mere 4k). My sortable table was
> somewhat faster than two or three alternatives I checked out. Rebuilding
> the table object with the neccessary reflow eat up most of the time.
>
> Cursor appearance can be done with CSS. Most of the alternatives out
> there provide more options, but are too bloated for my liking and/or
> rely on one of those "general purpose" libraries.
>
> Gregor
>

> [1]
> http://vxjs.gregorkofler.com/?page=sortable

Thanks Gregor, I will study this. My needs are dead simple. Just
to sort the likes of:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/tableSortCandidate.html>

and have the hand cursor (easy enough for me to work out).

--
dorayme
From: Lasse Reichstein Nielsen on
Gregor Kofler <usenet(a)gregorkofler.com> writes:

> The sorting itself is done with JS "native"
> Array.sort() method (which I suppose uses the quicksort algorithm).

That differs between browsers/JavaScript implementations.

From the open source browsers:

http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/JavaScriptCore/runtime/ArrayPrototype.cpp
(the function arrayProtoFuncSort, "min"-sort - a fairly simple algorithm with
a guaranteed quadratic number of comparisons, but low overhead.)

http://code.google.com/p/v8/source/browse/branches/bleeding_edge/src/array.js
(the function ArraySort, quicksort with insertion-sort as base for recursion)

http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/js/src/jsarray.c
(the function js_MergeSort, merge-sort-based, if you trust the name :)

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Holst Nielsen

From: RobG on
On Jan 27, 8:48 am, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 4:19 pm, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> > html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> > hovering the table headings. Thank you.
>
> Check out mine:
>
> http://JavascriptToolbox.com/lib/table/
>
> It does sorting, striping, filtering, and paging in lib.

The supported date formats do not seem to include the one that is
probably most commonly used - d/m/yyyy.

--
Rob

From: Gregor Kofler on
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen meinte:
> Gregor Kofler <usenet(a)gregorkofler.com> writes:
>
>> The sorting itself is done with JS "native"
>> Array.sort() method (which I suppose uses the quicksort algorithm).
>
> That differs between browsers/JavaScript implementations.

Interesting. I had then replaced the built-in sort with my "own"
quicksort function and it was only slighlty slower. Since the sorting
itself wasn't an issue when compared to the "speed" of the required DOM
operations, I didn't investigate any further and stuck to the built-in
algorithm (according to the various Wikipedia articles quicksort,
mergesort and minsort don't differ too much in terms of speed).

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com