From: dorayme on
What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
hovering the table headings. Thank you.

--
dorayme
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 26, 4:19 pm, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> hovering the table headings. Thank you.

This is probably too large a topic to get very useful results. Have
you searched the web for implementations? People here can probably
comment on the usability, efficiency, and quality of various table
sorters to be found online. But perhaps you can narrow down the list
to examined first...

-- Scott
From: Gregor Kofler on
dorayme meinte:
> What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> hovering the table headings. Thank you.

What do you mean by "best"? (And what is "simplest")?

Ive done my own one[1]. The sorting itself is done with JS "native"
Array.sort() method (which I suppose uses the quicksort algorithm).

Once sorted, the table rows are exchanged accordingly. It's all
relatively simple (and the script a mere 4k). My sortable table was
somewhat faster than two or three alternatives I checked out. Rebuilding
the table object with the neccessary reflow eat up most of the time.

Cursor appearance can be done with CSS. Most of the alternatives out
there provide more options, but are too bloated for my liking and/or
rely on one of those "general purpose" libraries.

Gregor

[1]
http://vxjs.gregorkofler.com/?page=sortable

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: Matt Kruse on
On Jan 26, 4:19 pm, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> hovering the table headings. Thank you.

Check out mine:

http://JavascriptToolbox.com/lib/table/

It does sorting, striping, filtering, and paging in lib.

It's flexible, extensible, and extremely fast. In tests I did at the
time of writing, I couldn't find any table-sorting solution that was
faster. Especially in browsers like IE6, where some unconventional
internal optimizations make a big difference.

It also does things like correctly handling colspans in headers,
respecting footers & separate tbody's, allowing some tbody's to be
left unsorted, letting you define your own data type for columns, etc.

If you have any feedback, I would love to hear it!

Matt Kruse
From: dorayme on
In article
<c46968c7-8911-4512-afcb-724731ebdf33(a)k11g2000vbe.googlegroups.co
m>,
Scott Sauyet <scott.sauyet(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 4:19 pm, dorayme <doraymeRidT...(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > What is best js to provide for client side column sorting with
> > html tables? Be nice to have the cursor change to a hand on
> > hovering the table headings. Thank you.
>
> This is probably too large a topic to get very useful results. Have
> you searched the web for implementations? People here can probably
> comment on the usability, efficiency, and quality of various table
> sorters to be found online. But perhaps you can narrow down the list
> to examined first...

I would be most happy to hear someone say, for example, about:

<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/tableSortCandidate.html>

"This is what I have done with similar and I offer it to you in
hope it helps..."

The "..." would be things like:

Add a thead and tbody...

Class the table element to "sortable"

Link to "sorttable.js" to be found at:

<http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/>

As for the cursor changing to a hand, this is what I have found
works best...

I kindly give you all the opportunity to rain down pearls of
specific wisdom on me based on actual practice. My offer will not
last forever, you know. <g>

--
dorayme