From: moss 2007 dev on
hi,
I am using MOSS 2007. I want to create template for my sites. Which is the
better option? creating site template or site definition? Also how flexible
will both these options be in case I want to modify my existing
template/defintion. Will it reflect on all the sites that are already
created and running?
How can i ensure this?

Thanks

From: Mike Walsh on
I would suspect that you are better copying an existing set of template
files (in C:) rather than Saving Site as Template as I presume you would
then have a base template to go back to later.

Mike Walsh
WSS FAQ www.wssv3faq.com / wss.collutions.com
No private questions please (additions to FAQ welcome)

From: moss 2007 dev on
Thanks for answering Mike.
As I read on MSDN, with templates it is not possible to modify and have all
changes reflect on eixtsing sites. IS this possible with site definition? I
also read about portal site template. My need is to have option of modifying
definition later and all existing sites updated with the same.

From: Mike Walsh on
In the case of a Save as Template it is freezing an existing site's look and
feel.

You can use this when creating new sites only.

In the case of copying a set of templates in C: to create new templates you
are still only making additional templates available when creating *new*
sites.

The difference is that whereas a Save as Template site is always a one-off,
some later modifications made to sites based on the templates stored in C:
(or to those templates) will ripple through sites.

(If you need a better explanation, then hopefully someone else will come in
with more - that's all I have)

Mike Walsh

From: moss 2007 dev on
hi Mike,
I got ur point. After updating stp file, i can upload it again in site
template gallery and it shud reflect on all sites. Thanks a lot for this.
Only thing can u point me to how can i update STP file, it is not very easy
to understand (there are lot of Ids and stuff). How can i add a new list(ex:
Issues) in STP file?

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Shared Service Error
Next: Web Pages Navigator