From: Chad Brown on
Hello,

If anyone needs more info to answer this, let me know, but I'm in
Windows XP, Novell Netware 6.5 NOS, Dreamweaver CS4, using Apache2, we
host our webserver on site.

I'm at a loss right now. I've been reading and so far haven't found a
solution.

Today I came into work and logged into my workstation, which was
locked. Something happened over the weekend that disallowed my
computer from connecting to the internet. I am assuming it was local
and the connection to the server was reset. I can't find anything in
event viewer that shows what happened, other than some errors that
point to an inability to get out to the internet to search for
updates.

In any case, I came in today and had to restart right off the bat. I
had some dreamweaver files open when the connection was severed to the
server. I have now logged back in, and the .STE file is gone. I have
searched my local computer, every network drive, and looked in the
registry under USER> software>adobe>common>10>sites and there is
nothing there.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I am assuming that if I re-
create a site I am going to have to re-create the template files, then
re-create the pages created from the templates as well (in effect
start completely over)? Unless there is some kind of recovery ability
within Dreamweaver I guess. In the meantime, I am going to see if I
can't figure out a different way to salvage the file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Chad
From: Eric Wilson on
On Mar 22, 1:24 pm, Chad Brown <igotbassgui...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If anyone needs more info to answer this, let me know, but I'm in
> Windows XP, Novell Netware 6.5 NOS, Dreamweaver CS4, using Apache2, we
> host our webserver on site.
>
> I'm at a loss right now.  I've been reading and so far haven't found a
> solution.
>
> Today I came into work and logged into my workstation, which was
> locked.  Something happened over the weekend that disallowed my
> computer from connecting to the internet.  I am assuming it was local
> and the connection to the server was reset.  I can't find anything in
> event viewer that shows what happened, other than some errors that
> point to an inability to get out to the internet to search for
> updates.
>
> In any case, I came in today and had to restart right off the bat.  I
> had some dreamweaver files open when the connection was severed to the
> server.  I have now logged back in, and the .STE file is gone.  I have
> searched my local computer, every network drive, and looked in the
> registry under USER> software>adobe>common>10>sites and there is
> nothing there.
>
> I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I am assuming that if I re-
> create a site I am going to have to re-create the template files, then
> re-create the pages created from the templates as well (in effect
> start completely over)?  Unless there is some kind of recovery ability
> within Dreamweaver I guess.  In the meantime, I am going to see if I
> can't figure out a different way to salvage the file.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chad

Your local working directory containing all of your web pages is still
there isn't it? I don't use DW templates but as far as I know all you
lost are configuration settings (paths to files, ftp settings,
preferences, etc...). I would think the templates would actually be
files within your site. Also, I think ste files are just manual
exports of your site definitions, the site definition info that DW is
actively using is probably in the registry or a dat file.

That all said my 1st step whenever DW goes crazy on me is to delete
the WinFileCache-{random characters here}.dat file in the C:\Documents
and Settings\{your user folder}\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver
CS4\en_US\Configuration\ directory. If yet to see any detriment when
deleting this file on a regular basis (or any benefit to having it at
all), it is recreated when you close dreamweaver and can cause some
very unpredictable behavior if it becomes corrupt.
From: Chad Brown on
On Mar 22, 4:59 pm, Eric Wilson <ewilson...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 1:24 pm, Chad Brown <igotbassgui...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
>
> > If anyone needs more info to answer this, let me know, but I'm in
> > Windows XP, Novell Netware 6.5 NOS, Dreamweaver CS4, using Apache2, we
> > host our webserver on site.
>
> > I'm at a loss right now.  I've been reading and so far haven't found a
> > solution.
>
> > Today I came into work and logged into my workstation, which was
> > locked.  Something happened over the weekend that disallowed my
> > computer from connecting to the internet.  I am assuming it was local
> > and the connection to the server was reset.  I can't find anything in
> > event viewer that shows what happened, other than some errors that
> > point to an inability to get out to the internet to search for
> > updates.
>
> > In any case, I came in today and had to restart right off the bat.  I
> > had some dreamweaver files open when the connection was severed to the
> > server.  I have now logged back in, and the .STE file is gone.  I have
> > searched my local computer, every network drive, and looked in the
> > registry under USER> software>adobe>common>10>sites and there is
> > nothing there.
>
> > I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I am assuming that if I re-
> > create a site I am going to have to re-create the template files, then
> > re-create the pages created from the templates as well (in effect
> > start completely over)?  Unless there is some kind of recovery ability
> > within Dreamweaver I guess.  In the meantime, I am going to see if I
> > can't figure out a different way to salvage the file.
>
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Chad
>
> Your local working directory containing all of your web pages is still
> there isn't it?  I don't use DW templates but as far as I know all you
> lost are configuration settings (paths to files, ftp settings,
> preferences, etc...).  I would think the templates would actually be
> files within your site.  Also, I think ste files are just manual
> exports of your site definitions, the site definition info that DW is
> actively using is probably in the registry or a dat file.
>
> That all said my 1st step whenever DW goes crazy on me is to delete
> the WinFileCache-{random characters here}.dat file in the C:\Documents
> and Settings\{your user folder}\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver
> CS4\en_US\Configuration\ directory.  If yet to see any detriment when
> deleting this file on a regular basis (or any benefit to having it at
> all), it is recreated when you close dreamweaver and can cause some
> very unpredictable behavior if it becomes corrupt.- Hide quoted text -

I have all of the webpages on the webroot on a network drive. All of
them are live. I went through the process of creating the site pretty
quickly, but I am assuming for this issue to even take place, it was
on my local machine. Had I paid more attention, I would have put it
on the network drive as well. You are correct about the templates,
but what I have come to notice is the templates themselves don't store
the parent information for the sites created from a template, but the
site file does (or another file I don't know about that also went
missing). Normally when you have a template set up, you will have
pages created from it that have specified editable regions, and a
majority of it is not editable. You make a change in the template,
then it updates the sites associated with the template. Mine aren't
doing that anymore, making my template setup useless.

Thanks for the tip. I deleted the winfilecache.dat file and a new
one, about half the size, was created, but my templates are still not
updating when I save a change to them. I'll hold off for another day
or so to see if anyone has any other input or things I could try, but
I fear I'll need to remake everything. Luckily, the files still
exist, and for the most part I can just copy the code over, but I'm
still losing a lot of time on this. I'm thinking I'll need to remake
the site, re-create the templates, and then re-make all of the pages.
Luckily I'm only around half done, and this website is not being used
yet, I'm building it to replace an existing website.

I will definitely be backing up all of my website files on a regular
basis now, other than just the catastrophic tape backups we run.

Thanks again,
Chad