From: Eef Hartman on
I just saw in -current's ChangeLog:
Tue May 18 22:17:13 UTC 2010
Slackware 13.1 RC2. Expect a stable release when it's ready.

so isn't it about time to start the guessing game about WHEN it will
be released (and no, I'm not offering to organize that competition)?
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: Michael Black on
On Thu, 20 May 2010, Eef Hartman wrote:

> I just saw in -current's ChangeLog:
> Tue May 18 22:17:13 UTC 2010
> Slackware 13.1 RC2. Expect a stable release when it's ready.
>
> so isn't it about time to start the guessing game about WHEN it will
> be released (and no, I'm not offering to organize that competition)?

No, the Slackware Fun and Games always comes before any indication of
a new release. I said something about it before, and was told there
was no real pattern to when the call for guesses comes up, just more
or less "it's about time there was a new release".

Now, the release is imminent, and there is a much smaller window of
when it will be released. I think one could go back and look at
the old changelog to get an indication of when the release actually
arrives after the "RC1", so there is a lot less fun and games now.

I have no idea why no game was announced this time, maybe the release
came sooner than most expected.

I did wonder about the wording of the announcement,
"Slackware 13.1 RC2. Expect a stable release when it's ready." It's
ambiguous, does it mean a stable release will come when RC2 is ready?
Or is it "stop asking when the new release will come, it will come
when it's ready".

I still can't grasp why an "RC2" had to be issued, there was the beta,
then the RC1, and nothing really much has changed, except some fixes
coming in as people try it and find things that are missing or need
fixing. Nothing is going to be added, unless someone has forgotten
something really important, so it's been bug fixes since at least RC1
and maybe the Beta1.

Michael
From: William Hunt on
On Thu, 20 May 2010, Michael Black wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010, Eef Hartman wrote:
[...]
>> Slackware 13.1 RC2. Expect a stable release when it's ready.
>> so isn't it about time to start the guessing game about WHEN it will
>> be released (and no, I'm not offering to organize that competition)?
>
> No, the Slackware Fun and Games always comes before any indication of
> a new release. I said something about it before, and was told there
> was no real pattern to when the call for guesses comes up, just more
> or less "it's about time there was a new release".a
[...]

Fun and Games can come anytime. Yes, there is no pattern except,
"it's about time". You can place your bet until the deed is done.

I'll take Mon May 24 22:20 UTC

--
William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA
From: Peter Chant on
William Hunt wrote:

> I'll take Mon May 24 22:20 UTC

Thursady 27th. Not that it matters. I'm running an rc and it is good.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
From: Eric Hameleers on
Simon Sibbez schreef:
> Really folks, you fooled me, and nobody wants to play either (that
> late). Think about the kids in here, please. Start it sooner, some
> changelog-beta-trigger might help. In theory, next time.

If you had followed the slackware-current changelog you would have
known that there have been several "changelog-beta-triggers" in the
past weeks...

Eric