From: Chas on

I have a problem with the start up time on my vista workstation. When
the work station is a domain member of my SBS 2003 domain the work
station hangs for about 2 mins at the "Please Wait" before the logon
screen. The event viewer says

The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 113 second(s) to
handle the notification event (CreateSession).

On googling for this I found a fix using netsh.

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I made the changes as above

The now error log says:-

The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> took 97 second(s) to
handle the notification event (CreateSession).

Ok its slighly better but still unacceptable.

If I remove the PC from the domain (but still connected to the network)
I get to a login prompt from cold in 24 seconds.

Ive tried a number of things. My SBS server is fully patched (I
believe) and I installed a few hot fixes connected with sbs and SP2,
but so far nothing has helped.

Can anyone please give me some advice What to try next? Other than
restoring from backups before windows update installed SP2.

Chas

From: Larry Struckmeyer on
Hi Chas:

Not knowing what you might have done, or what you have not done, here is my
boilerplate for Vista on SBS:

Follow these links for Vista patches to apply to the SBS server:

Install the Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility update on the SBS server
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9BF2F1E4-1B2C-471B-A284-E0C8C169FAC3&displaylang=en

Be sure to read the bottom part of this page for additional requirements.

Here is another MS article about the same fix:
Windows Small Business Server 2003: Windows Vista and Outlook 2007
compatibility update
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=926505

Review the following: Each has a couple of links to follow:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555912

For Vista Clients to work properly with SBS 2003:
To join the domain, Vista must be Business, Enteprise or Ultimate.
And should/must be joined to the SBS network using the connectcomputer
wizard

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2007/04/04/vista-slow-after-sp2-installed.aspx

There have been issues with slow logon times, where turning off auto-tuning
on the Vista client may help:
From a command prompt, type:
netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled "

WSUS 2.0?
One thread discussed a problem with an older installation of WSUS that would
not update Vista
Not tested by me.:

Old installation prior to Nov 2006 of WSUS that does not allow Vista Patches
?
1. If the WSUS was installed prior to November, you need to go back into
the WSUS console and unclick all products/save/reclick all products/save and
resync.

2. If you are behind wsus 2.0 you need to install wsus 30 to allow the Vista
to manually MU. Behind 2.0 it won't/can't.

Larry

From: Kerry Brown on
Check your DNS settings on the Vista client. In particular if you are using
"Append these DNS suffixes (in order):" make sure the internal domain is in
the list and at the top. At a command prompt you should be able to resolve
the server name without a DNS suffix (e.g. nslookup servername).

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

From: Chas on
Kerry Brown wrote:

> Check your DNS settings on the Vista client. In particular if you are
> using "Append these DNS suffixes (in order):" make sure the internal
> domain is in the list and at the top. At a command prompt you should
> be able to resolve the server name without a DNS suffix (e.g.
> nslookup servername).

Kerry Thanks for the reply,

Nslookup works as it should and I can resolve the server name. I dont
have any DNS issues.

If I remove the vista PC from the domain there are no boot issues at
all. I stress 'boot issues', once it gets to the login prompt the speed
is fine.

As its GPCLIENT that is causing the delay, I just wish I could find
some way of turning it off at the server. From what I read Vista SP1
will turn off Group Policy for Vista.

Chas

From: Chas on
Larry Struckmeyer wrote:

> Hi Chas:
>
> Not knowing what you might have done, or what you have not done, here
> is my boilerplate for Vista on SBS:
>
> Follow these links for Vista patches to apply to the SBS server:
>
> Install the Vista and Outlook 2007 compatibility update on the SBS
> server
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9BF2F1E4-1B2C
> -471B-A284-E0C8C169FAC3&displaylang=en
>
> Be sure to read the bottom part of this page for additional
> requirements.

Thanks for the reply Larry,

I had seen a copy your template prior to asking for help and I done
everything on your list. I still have the issue with the delay to group
policy.

If I remove my system from the domain there is no problem.

If I disable the GPCLIENT (not easy to do) again there is no boot delay.

I'm am not getting slow responses in any other area, only at boot time.
At least its reduced from a 144 secs delay to 97 secs.

Any other ideas I can try?

Chas