From: surface9 on
I have an XP (sp2) system on my SATA drive and a Windows 2000 (sp4) on
my IDE drive, all on my MSI K9NBPM2-FID motherboard with an AM2 5600+
processor. This motherboard has both IDE and SATA, and my IDE drive
is housed in a removable tray. When I boot up in Windows 2000 and
copy an mpeg file (1.5 gigabytes) from my SATA drive to my IDE drive
it completes in 10 to 20 seconds. But, when I boot up in XP (sp2) and
copy the same mpeg file from SATA to IDE, it takes about 9 minutes.
When I go into control panel/hardware/device manager/IDE controllers/
Advanced Settings (in my XP system) it shows DMA if available (NOT
PIO). I do not understand why Windows 2000 can copy this exact same
file from the exact same location to the exact same destination in
about 20 seconds but my XP system takes about 9 minutes???????? It
so happens I have the XP system configured also to be on a network to
a nearby PC, and I can copy this same mpeg file from the SATA over the
network to the nearby PC in about 3 minutes, so, I am dumbfounded as
to why XP takes so long to copy from SATA to IDE. If I didn't have
win2k installed on this same PC (to the IDE) drive and saw for myself
how fast Win2k completed the very same transfer, I wouldn't believe
it. There must be something bizarre about the way my XP system is
configured - any ideas?
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "surface9" <davsf(a)neto.com>

| I have an XP (sp2) system on my SATA drive and a Windows 2000 (sp4) on
| my IDE drive, all on my MSI K9NBPM2-FID motherboard with an AM2 5600+
| processor. This motherboard has both IDE and SATA, and my IDE drive
| is housed in a removable tray. When I boot up in Windows 2000 and
| copy an mpeg file (1.5 gigabytes) from my SATA drive to my IDE drive
| it completes in 10 to 20 seconds. But, when I boot up in XP (sp2) and
| copy the same mpeg file from SATA to IDE, it takes about 9 minutes.
| When I go into control panel/hardware/device manager/IDE controllers/
| Advanced Settings (in my XP system) it shows DMA if available (NOT
| PIO). I do not understand why Windows 2000 can copy this exact same
| file from the exact same location to the exact same destination in
| about 20 seconds but my XP system takes about 9 minutes???????? It
| so happens I have the XP system configured also to be on a network to
| a nearby PC, and I can copy this same mpeg file from the SATA over the
| network to the nearby PC in about 3 minutes, so, I am dumbfounded as
| to why XP takes so long to copy from SATA to IDE. If I didn't have
| win2k installed on this same PC (to the IDE) drive and saw for myself
| how fast Win2k completed the very same transfer, I wouldn't believe
| it. There must be something bizarre about the way my XP system is
| configured - any ideas?

Why are you still at XP SP2 level and NOT SP3 ?
Is the SATA in a RAID configuration ?

Update the the NVIDIA nForce 430 chipset software drivers relevant to the SATA & IDE
controllers.

--
Dave

From: surface9 on
On Dec 31, 5:34 am, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:

> Why are you still at XP SP2 level and NOT SP3 ?
> Is the SATA in a RAID configuration ?
>
> Update the the NVIDIA nForce 430 chipset software drivers relevant to the SATA & IDE
> controllers.
>
> --
> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Thanks David. This m/b came with a CD that had the chipset drivers on
it, but, I'll search the web and see if i can find later versions. Is
there any way to find out what version I currently have installed?
Also, I think I mispoke about sp2 - I think maybe I already do have
sp3 (I'm not sure, but, I'll try to determine that also). I didn't
make any effort to put in RAID, so, I don't know about that. Can raid
be configured without one knowing about it?

What I did was first I installed win2k to my ide drive (before
connecting my SATA, and then, I removed my ide drive and connected my
SATA drive and installed XP. That way, I normally boot to XP (SATA)
when my Win2k IDE drive is pulled out, but, if I insert my win2k IDE
drive, it will boot. Up to now, I didn't usually have anything in my
IDE drive.

I extracted about 50 gigs of movies to my SATA drive and wanted to
transfer them to an empty IDE drive, so I inserted an IDE disk that
had little on it, and configured setup to boot to the SATA anyway, and
it did that OK. But, when I tried to transfer the mpegs to the IDE I
noticed the speed was too slow, so I stopped the operation, re-
inserted my IDE win2k drive (in the IDE), and rebooted to win2k so I
could see how fast it would transfer the same mpeg under win2k.
That's how I got to this point. When I originally installed win2k, I
followed that by installing the driver CD that came with the
motherboard. I did the same thing with my XP install, followed by
installing the driver CD. From what you suggest, it seems MSI
included different drivers for the nforce 430 chipset against win2k or
XP - I wouldn't have expected that.

If you know a way I can find out my chipset version, please reply.
Also, if you know a good website to start looking for newer chipset
drivers for XP, please reply.

Thanks, Jerry
From: surface9 on
Wow, what a difference. I upgraded to 15.38 and now SATA to IDE is as
fast as from SATA to SATA. Thanks for the advice.

Jerry

From: JD on
surface9 wrote:
> Wow, what a difference. I upgraded to 15.38 and now SATA to IDE is as
> fast as from SATA to SATA. Thanks for the advice.
>
> Jerry

Out of curiosity, what did you update? Your chipset drivers or something
else?

--
JD..