From: volcano on
Hi,

http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=10687.0

above is a topic to nasm code about extracting exporting functions
from a dll. I have the latest include file AFAIK. The code is working
OK for small DLLs, such imagehlp.dll but if bigger, application is
freezing.

Is nasm so slow or still there are some bugs? I also uploaded my
sources for whom wishes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?edsd1994stz

thanks

From: H. Peter Anvin on
volcano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=10687.0
>
> above is a topic to nasm code about extracting exporting functions
> from a dll. I have the latest include file AFAIK. The code is working
> OK for small DLLs, such imagehlp.dll but if bigger, application is
> freezing.
>
> Is nasm so slow or still there are some bugs? I also uploaded my
> sources for whom wishes.
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?edsd1994stz

Could you please file a bug report at the Sourceforge tracker and
include your sources, including the header files:

: tazenda 7 ; ~/nasm/git/nasm -f obj getdllexp.asm
getdllexp.asm:1: fatal: unable to open include file `e:\nasm\inc\nagoa+.inc'

It would really help to know what version of NASM is giving you trouble
(if you're using 0.98.x, try 0.99.05).

-hpa
From: H. Peter Anvin on
H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Could you please file a bug report at the Sourceforge tracker and
> include your sources, including the header files:
>
> : tazenda 7 ; ~/nasm/git/nasm -f obj getdllexp.asm
> getdllexp.asm:1: fatal: unable to open include file
> `e:\nasm\inc\nagoa+.inc'
>
> It would really help to know what version of NASM is giving you trouble
> (if you're using 0.98.x, try 0.99.05).

Grabbing nagoa+.inc from http://plastic4records.com/nagoa/nagoa+.inc.zip
I tried compiling your example with NASM 0.98.39 and 0.99.05:

0.98.39 - completes in 1.55 seconds
0.99.05 - completes in 0.25 seconds

-hpa
From: Frank Kotler on
volcano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=10687.0
>
> above is a topic to nasm code about extracting exporting functions
> from a dll. I have the latest include file AFAIK. The code is working
> OK for small DLLs, such imagehlp.dll but if bigger, application is
> freezing.
>
> Is nasm so slow or still there are some bugs? I also uploaded my
> sources for whom wishes.
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?edsd1994stz

I'm not sure I understand your question... Yeah, Nasm is slow - much
less so recently, but probably still not the "Fastest Actual Assembler
in the Known Universe" (FAAKU). I assume there are still bugs, although
a good many have been squashed. (I think at this point, 0.99.05 is "safe
to use", and probably a better bet than 0.98.39... famous last words...)

But then you mention that your app freezes on larger .dll's. Probably
not a Nasm bug, although it *could* be. Can you run it in a debugger and
determine *where* it freezes? Can you determine if the original Tasm
build exhibits the same problem? (could be a "translation" issue)

I'm not in a position to test your code, but I can confirm that it
assembles fine here with both 0.98.39 and 0.99.05, and can confirm the
speedup that hpa reports with 0.99.05 (nice!!!).

If you can narrow down the problem, maybe we can help more. In any case,
thanks for the "real world speed benchmark"! :)

Best,
Frank
From: santosh on
volcano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/index.php?topic=10687.0
>
> above is a topic to nasm code about extracting exporting functions
> from a dll. I have the latest include file AFAIK. The code is working
> OK for small DLLs, such imagehlp.dll but if bigger, application is
> freezing.
>
> Is nasm so slow or still there are some bugs? I also uploaded my
> sources for whom wishes.
>
> http://www.mediafire.com/?edsd1994stz

Your source is compiling fine for me with NASM 0.99.05. Also I don't see
any noticeable speed difference with NASM 0.98.39, but I didn't time it
though.