From: kirkm on

I had one of my SCSI CDRoms die and removed it. Since then opening
certain things (in particular .jpg and .htm) files takes about 12
seconds. Yet other things are fine, .txt for one.

I'm going to put the drive back as a test, but wondered if anyone had
seen this before and also if there's any way to find out what Windows is
actually doing for that 12 seconds? I did defrag but no improvement.

Thanks.

--
kirkm
kirkm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111524.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Shenan Stanley on
kirkm wrote:
> I had one of my SCSI CDRoms die and removed it. Since then opening
> certain things (in particular .jpg and .htm) files takes about 12
> seconds. Yet other things are fine, .txt for one.
>
> I'm going to put the drive back as a test, but wondered if anyone
> had seen this before and also if there's any way to find out what
> Windows is actually doing for that 12 seconds? I did defrag but no
> improvement.

If all you had die was a CDROM drive and you replaced said CDROM drive with
something else or removed it from the equation and unless you are talking
about accessing said files from CD/DVD anyway - there is no relationship
*unless* your hard drives were/are hooked to the same controller and the
controller is defective/misconfigured.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: kirkm on

The SCSI CD drives were on their own controller, and the replacement is
an IDE device which I connected to a PCI IDE controller shared with 2
HDs. There's also 2 SATA HD's.

I'll try to reverse engineer the changes, just to see... even right
clicking a folder now to invoke Search takes 10-12 seconds. Without even
an hourglass (thought that appears if you click again).

Perhaps time for a re-install. After trying the above as it seems very
coincidental.

I assume there is no way to log, or find out, what's happening during
the delay?