From: BrianAlex on
XP Home, 768 RAM,1.8G P4 2003

Lately the shut-down takes almost 3 minutes. Before it took only a
few short moments,maybe 15-20 seconds.
I tried all the usual stuff that I know about,ie. Disc
Ceanup,Defrag,Error Checking with recovery,Virus check (Avast!),spyware
(Superantispyware ) etc. and it still takes a long time to shut
down,maybe even 5 minutes plus on occasion (it seems).
Should I be concerned? Is there an easy cure? Thanks! BrianAlex
From: BrianAlex on
On Oct 29, 5:34 pm, BrianAlex <Brianori...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>  XP Home, 768 RAM,1.8G P4 2003
>
>  Lately the shut-down takes almost 3 minutes. Before it took only a
> few short moments,maybe 15-20 seconds.
>   I tried all the usual stuff that I know about,ie. Disc
> Ceanup,Defrag,Error Checking with recovery,Virus check (Avast!),spyware
> (Superantispyware ) etc. and it still takes a long time to shut
> down,maybe even 5 minutes plus on occasion (it seems).
>  Should I be concerned? Is there an easy cure?  Thanks! BrianAlex

Alao maybe I should mention that I attempted a Sytem Retore and that
cured the long shut down period,but there was an incessant pop-up
prompt saying something like "Windows Installer" The file for Cannon
ES Scanner is missing. Please insert Cannon ES (? forgot the actual
abrev.) Disc. When I did,the disc drive isn't working apparently. So I
just undid the restore,and I'm back to slow shut-down.Plus the whole
system seems slower than usual too. thx BA
From: Jean Rosenfeld on
Have you tried installing UPHclean service?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

From: BrianAlex on
On Nov 6, 1:36 pm, "Jean Rosenfeld"
<jean.rosenf...(a)nospam.ukgateway.net> wrote:
> Have you tried installing UPHclean service?http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-891...
>
> "BrianAlex" <Brianori...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > XP Home, 768 RAM,1.8G P4 2003
>
> > Lately the shut-down takes almost 3 minutes. Before it took only a
> > few short moments,maybe 15-20 seconds.
> >  I tried all the usual stuff that I know about,ie. Disc
> > Ceanup,Defrag,Error Checking with recovery,Virus check (Avast!),spyware
> > (Superantispyware ) etc. and it still takes a long time to shut
> > down,maybe even 5 minutes plus on occasion (it seems).
> > Should I be concerned? Is there an easy cure?  Thanks! BrianAlex- Hide quoted text -

No but I tried "CCleaner" (but left the cookies and web page
histories) and it still takes 5 minutes to shut it down.

It takes 2:30 after "Start/Turn Off Computer" to reach the " Standby/
Turn Off/Restart" page and another 2:30 after clicking Off or Restart.

I'm wondering if this 2003 Dell is getting old or something.
(HD is 3 years old)

From: Jean Rosenfeld on
Like I said, try UPHClean. It will speed up shut down if (as is often the
case) some app is not releasing the User hive quickly. It can't do any harm,
takes very little memory and is unobtrusive.