From: Joel Fredrikson on
Just wanted to share info about an obscure bug I found with the
combination Acrobat Reader 9.3.1, zlib 1.2.5 and libxml2 2.7.7
(compiled with zlib 1.2.5).

So the problem started with me installing zlib 1.2.5 on my Solaris 10
system to get the LFS-support introduced in zlib 1.2.4, but because
the new zlib is incompatible with all older versions of libxml2, I had
to upgrade libxml2 to version 2.7.7 ... all testsuites ran fine after
some minor tweaking.

Then some users began experience strange crashes in Acrobat Reader.

% acroread
/home/joel/.adobe/Acrobat/9.0/Synchroniser//sync_prefs:1: parser
error : Document is empty
/home/joel/.adobe/Acrobat/9.0/Synchroniser//sync_prefs:1: parser
error : Start tag expected, '<' not found

It turns out that one shared object (libWRServices.so.3.1) in Acrobat
Reader contains a local copy of zlib resulting in libxml2 using
gzopen64() from zlib 1.2.5 and gzclose() from libWRService.so.3.1.
That mix did not work ....

Basically Acrobat Reader needs local copies of all libraries it uses
that might be linked with zlib including zlib, freetype, gtk, pango,
fontconfig, Xft ... or (which is probably better) one can set
LD_PRELOAD_32=libz.so.1 in the acroread-script.

Hope this can save others from going almost insane before finding the
cause of the crash.
From: Hugo on
Thanks for the tip - most useful !
From: Hugo on