From: raz4183 on
From GoDaddy.com we have setup a 2008 virtual server. We are trying to setup
an agent portal. I want to use Smarthost to forward emails from our web app
on this server to a GoDaddy address so that it will forward the email. The
godaddy sitename is xxxagentportal.com
I've tried setting up the SMTP virtual server in IIS 6.0 manager. What FQDN
do I use - the name we use for our GoDaddy site of xxxagentportal.com, do I
put SMTP in front of it?
Also for relaying I've tried setting it to Only the list below and used
127.0.0.1 or the IP of the server itself but I receive unable to relay
messages.
What is the best way to test a Smarthost setup?
For security do I use Integrated windows authentication with the account and
password of the godaddy email account I'm using?
Also, what role does the SMTP E-mail on 2008 IIS have in this if any - does
this need to be configured and if so how?
From: Ken Schaefer on
You need to read up on all the various things you are asking for.

For example: relay has nothing to do with smart host.

Smarthost means that all outgoing mail will be sent via the specified
smarthost.

Relay means that mail that isn't from your own domain (and isn't destined
for your domain) should be permitted through your server (typically open
relay servers are sources of spam and get blocked)

The authetication options you are talking about are irrelevant unless you
allow external machines to authenticate to your server to send or deliver
mail...

Cheers
Ken