From: Tim Downie on
I realise that this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question"
but I made my first foray into the world of smartphones the other day and
tried a Sony Experia mini phone. I was told that this phone had "good"
battery life.

My experience was that the battery life was completely unacceptable without
disabling more than half the features of the phone (which IMO rather defeats
the purpose of having a smart phone). Maybe I was expecting too much but is
this typical of all smart phones? The Sony was claiming critically low
battery after just 14 hours which included a bit of facebooking, a play with
the GPS and a bit of web accessing.

Which smart phones are currently considered to have the best battery life?

From: Invisible Man on
On 05/07/2010 12:48, Tim Downie wrote:
> I realise that this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string
> question" but I made my first foray into the world of smartphones the
> other day and tried a Sony Experia mini phone. I was told that this
> phone had "good" battery life.
>
> My experience was that the battery life was completely unacceptable
> without disabling more than half the features of the phone (which IMO
> rather defeats the purpose of having a smart phone). Maybe I was
> expecting too much but is this typical of all smart phones? The Sony was
> claiming critically low battery after just 14 hours which included a bit
> of facebooking, a play with the GPS and a bit of web accessing.
>
> Which smart phones are currently considered to have the best battery life?

Regret I cannot answer your question on what is a good one. Smartphones
are however notorious for their short battery life. Multiple chargers or
batteries may be the answer.
From: jak on

"Tim Downie" <timdownie2003(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I realise that this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string question"
>but I made my first foray into the world of smartphones the other day and
>tried a Sony Experia mini phone. I was told that this phone had "good"
>battery life.
>
> My experience was that the battery life was completely unacceptable
> without disabling more than half the features of the phone (which IMO
> rather defeats the purpose of having a smart phone). Maybe I was
> expecting too much but is this typical of all smart phones? The Sony was
> claiming critically low battery after just 14 hours which included a bit
> of facebooking, a play with the GPS and a bit of web accessing.
>
> Which smart phones are currently considered to have the best battery life?

I have the BlackBerry Curve 8520 on Orange and I found the battery life very
good...

This is despite I have WiFi connected when I'm at home due to poor signal so
I can use UMA.
Also, I use the media player quite a lot(it has a 3.5 (normal) headphone
jack). I generally charge my battery up ever 2.5 days sometimes 3 days.

The facebook app is not to bad, I have no use for the GPS so can't advise,
but you can download Google Maps.
Web access is ok, fast enough and faster when connected via WiFi.

The charger is a miniusb type ac adapter with euro/usa adaptors included!

From: Nick Le Lievre on
"Tim Downie" <timdownie2003(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> Which smart phones are currently considered to have the best battery life?

I had a HTC Touch Diamond 2 which had the Standby of Death problem which I
resolved by manually setting the phone band options to GSM + AUTO or WCDMA +
UMTS 2100 (3G).

I could then get 5 days of mostly standby like this whereas if it was set to
AUTO + AUTO it would only last a couple of days. I now have a HTC Hero which
does not suffer from the SOD so I have that set to AUTO (3G or 2G depending
on signal strength) and I only get 2-3 days mostly standby.

If I moderately use the device I only get about 1.5 days max.