From: JD on
Hi Experts,

Have you recently bought any plastic-bodied
electronics and found an
unpleasant chemical stench?

I bought an Aluratek internet radio and, after 10
days, it is still sitting
in my garage.

The stink appears to be coming from the plastic
casing but it's hard to
tell because the case has ventilation slots.

I'm pondering whether to return it.

Any experience of stinks like this?

TIA
From: kony on
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:04:52 -0800, JD <JD(a)NoDen.con> wrote:

>Hi Experts,
>
>Have you recently bought any plastic-bodied
>electronics and found an
>unpleasant chemical stench?
>
>I bought an Aluratek internet radio and, after 10
>days, it is still sitting
>in my garage.
>
>The stink appears to be coming from the plastic
>casing but it's hard to
>tell because the case has ventilation slots.
>
>I'm pondering whether to return it.
>
>Any experience of stinks like this?
>
>TIA

Might be the plastic, might be coatings used in
manufacturing, either way it's hardly worth discussing as it
is not all that rare to encounter.

Plug it in and leave it running with a fan pointed at it.
If after a couple days you still find the smell intolerable,
return it.
From: VanguardLH on
JD wrote:

> Have you recently bought any plastic-bodied
> electronics and found an
> unpleasant chemical stench?
>
> I bought an Aluratek internet radio and, after 10
> days, it is still sitting
> in my garage.
>
> The stink appears to be coming from the plastic
> casing but it's hard to
> tell because the case has ventilation slots.
>
> I'm pondering whether to return it.
>
> Any experience of stinks like this?

Might it be yet another tainted Chinese product?

Toys with leaded paint. Dried apples with a cancer-causing agent. Frozen
catfish with banned antibiotics. Scallops and sardines with putrefying
bacteria. Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides. Faulty manufacture of
car tires. Cough syrup tainted with glcol that killed 100 in Panama. Wheat
glutin tainted with malamime (used to make plastics and fertilizer) found in
pet food that caused kidney ailments in dogs and cats. Malamine showing up
in Chinese dairy products. Toothpaste found containing glycol. Noxious
vapors and sulfide gases emitted from Chinese-made sheetrock in Florida
homes that are even corrosive to A/C coils. Getting a small sample of the
banned items returned than they try to send it back through again.

Apparently China's solution to disposing of their hazardous waste is to put
it into their exported products. Check if the product says "Made in China".
If so, read that as "We Poison You". Then decide if you're going to keep it
or return it as a chemical hazard.
From: Paul on

From: Paul on
VanguardLH wrote:
> JD wrote:
>
>> Have you recently bought any plastic-bodied
>> electronics and found an
>> unpleasant chemical stench?
>>
>> I bought an Aluratek internet radio and, after 10
>> days, it is still sitting
>> in my garage.
>>
>> The stink appears to be coming from the plastic
>> casing but it's hard to
>> tell because the case has ventilation slots.
>>
>> I'm pondering whether to return it.
>>
>> Any experience of stinks like this?
>
> Might it be yet another tainted Chinese product?
>
> Toys with leaded paint. Dried apples with a cancer-causing agent. Frozen
> catfish with banned antibiotics. Scallops and sardines with putrefying
> bacteria. Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides. Faulty manufacture of
> car tires. Cough syrup tainted with glcol that killed 100 in Panama. Wheat
> glutin tainted with malamime (used to make plastics and fertilizer) found in
> pet food that caused kidney ailments in dogs and cats. Malamine showing up
> in Chinese dairy products. Toothpaste found containing glycol. Noxious
> vapors and sulfide gases emitted from Chinese-made sheetrock in Florida
> homes that are even corrosive to A/C coils. Getting a small sample of the
> banned items returned than they try to send it back through again.
>
> Apparently China's solution to disposing of their hazardous waste is to put
> it into their exported products. Check if the product says "Made in China".
> If so, read that as "We Poison You". Then decide if you're going to keep it
> or return it as a chemical hazard.

I've had a few computer fans that smelled funny, and perhaps it is the
same smell. It is hard to tell whether the plastic has had something
added to it, or it is simply poorly made plastic. The smell was bad
enough, that the fans could not be installed in a system, and had to be
left inside the original boxes.

I've had one power supply, that had a strong solvent type smell when the
box was opened. But fortunately for that one, the smell dissipated in a
few hours.

The smelly plastic problem, on the other hand, only seems to get worse
with time. So perhaps it is just poorly made plastic.

I used to think it was a fire retardant that was applied, but it
doesn't seem to be cleanable.

Paul