From: D.M. Procida on
I've just had some photos back from Snapfish (in the UK), and I'm quite
disappointed with the colour rendition.

In most of the pictures - which were taken with three different cameras
of different brands, over a period of several years - skin tones are
really horrible. People look like they are made out of plastic, like
shop dummies.

Is this normal, or have I just been unlucky (or hypercritical)?

Daniele
From: John McWilliams on
D.M. Procida wrote:
> I've just had some photos back from Snapfish (in the UK), and I'm quite
> disappointed with the colour rendition.
>
> In most of the pictures - which were taken with three different cameras
> of different brands, over a period of several years - skin tones are
> really horrible. People look like they are made out of plastic, like
> shop dummies.
>
> Is this normal, or have I just been unlucky (or hypercritical)?

Doesn't sound normal. However, specifics are needed, as to camera and
media type, and examples. If you post them on a web site and link to it
here in response, we'll have a place to start.

--
john mcwilliams
From: me on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:35:19 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>I've just had some photos back from Snapfish (in the UK), and I'm quite
>disappointed with the colour rendition.
>
>In most of the pictures - which were taken with three different cameras
>of different brands, over a period of several years - skin tones are
>really horrible. People look like they are made out of plastic, like
>shop dummies.
>
>Is this normal, or have I just been unlucky (or hypercritical)?

Did you specify that they NOT optimize the photos, ie not try to
correct them?
From: Bruce on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:35:19 +0100,
real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>I've just had some photos back from Snapfish (in the UK), and I'm quite
>disappointed with the colour rendition.
>
>In most of the pictures - which were taken with three different cameras
>of different brands, over a period of several years - skin tones are
>really horrible. People look like they are made out of plastic, like
>shop dummies.
>
>Is this normal, or have I just been unlucky (or hypercritical)?

You need to obtain a printer profile from Snapfish UK and use it to
calibrate your monitor. Once you have done that, the resulting prints
from Snapfish will more accurately reproduce what you see on your
monitor.

If Snapfish UK doesn't offer that service, I would be surprised, but
it might explain the problem. If they don't provide a profile, you
should choose another print lab that does, such as Peak Imaging:

http://www.peak-imaging.com/htmls/monitor_calibration.html

Snapfish is cheap. You usually get what you pay for, but you usually
don't get what you didn't pay for.

If you want better results, use a better lab. But don't expect
Snapfish prices.

From: Ray Fischer on
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address(a)apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
>I've just had some photos back from Snapfish (in the UK), and I'm quite
>disappointed with the colour rendition.
>
>In most of the pictures - which were taken with three different cameras
>of different brands, over a period of several years - skin tones are
>really horrible. People look like they are made out of plastic, like
>shop dummies.
>
>Is this normal, or have I just been unlucky (or hypercritical)?

Dunno. Pretty much every lab screws up on occasion. And pretty much
every reputable lab will try to make it right when they do screw up.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net