From: Dan Holmes on
I client A connects to server B and sends some data. Server B then processes that data and returns an answer. All
works well as long as the processing by B takes under 2 minutes. When i takes longer i get this message:

A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine or aggregate "GetRSECalculatedTravelTimes":
System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by
the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

it happens exactly at 2 minutes every time. I looked at the Receive and Send timeout properties but both indicate the
default is to wait forever.

Are there other properties i should set?

thanks
dan
From: Peter Duniho on
Dan Holmes wrote:
> I client A connects to server B and sends some data. Server B then
> processes that data and returns an answer. All works well as long as
> the processing by B takes under 2 minutes. When i takes longer i get
>
> A .NET Framework error occurred during execution of user-defined routine
> or aggregate "GetRSECalculatedTravelTimes":
> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport
> connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote
> host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection
> was forcibly closed by the remote host
>
> it happens exactly at 2 minutes every time. I looked at the Receive and
> Send timeout properties but both indicate the default is to wait forever.
>
> Are there other properties i should set?

What are you using to make the connection? The outer exception message
(that mentions "GetRSECalculatedTravelTimes") suggests to me it's
something other than a plain instance of Socket.

The exception itself is most likely accurate: the problem is somewhere
outside your own process, as the connection (TCP, presumably) has been
reset "by the remote host".

This may indicate a problem at the remote server itself, or it may be an
issue with some intermediate entity, such as a NAT router.

Unfortunately, without a concise-but-complete code example it's
practically impossible to suggest anything specific. But based on what
you've written so far, it may not be a problem in your code anyway.

Pete