From: km on
I have been asked whether it is possible to set a PC to turn off at a
set time. This is to stop a youngster from staying on it too late at
night.

Can this be done from within Windows XP or by installing software,
preferably freeware.

km
From: Gary R. Schmidt on
km wrote:
> I have been asked whether it is possible to set a PC to turn off at a
> set time. This is to stop a youngster from staying on it too late at
> night.
>
> Can this be done from within Windows XP or by installing software,
> preferably freeware.

Use the Windows Scheduler, and the shutdown command. Both are built in.
(unless you are using a "home" edition of XP, in which case YMMV.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
From: HeyBub on
km wrote:
> I have been asked whether it is possible to set a PC to turn off at a
> set time. This is to stop a youngster from staying on it too late at
> night.
>
> Can this be done from within Windows XP or by installing software,
> preferably freeware.

Most experts agree the best way to prevent a child from abusing the computer
is to place the computer anywhere BUT the kid's room (family room, breakfast
area, patio, etc.).

From: POKO on
In article <G6OdnVVIW4Z8WM_RnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com says...
> km wrote:
> > I have been asked whether it is possible to set a PC to turn off at a
> > set time. This is to stop a youngster from staying on it too late at
> > night.
> >
> > Can this be done from within Windows XP or by installing software,
> > preferably freeware.
> >

> Most experts agree the best way to prevent a child from abusing the computer
> is to place the computer anywhere BUT the kid's room (family room, breakfast
> area, patio, etc.).

But that would involve being actively involved in "being a parent' and
so many of today's parents would rather just "let them run" on their
own. HeyBub has the correct solution,
--
POKO
Manitoulin Island
From: km on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:17:56 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms
<bearbottoms1(a)gmai.com> wrote:

>POKO <pokokat(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> In article <G6OdnVVIW4Z8WM_RnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
>> heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com says...

>>> Most experts agree the best way to prevent a child from abusing the
>>> computer is to place the computer anywhere BUT the kid's room (family
>>> room, breakfast area, patio, etc.).
>>>

>> But that would involve being actively involved in "being a parent' and
>> so many of today's parents would rather just "let them run" on their
>> own. HeyBub has the correct solution,
>
>I recommend removing the power cord at/for the time you no longer wish
>them to use the computer. You can restore it when you wish to allow use
>again.

Very sound moral responses from all three of you.

I have no knowledge of the personal circumstances involving the family
of the person asking the question. My inclination is to try and find
an appropriate answer to the actual question I was asked. On the lines
of Gary's advice or some alternative software.

km