From: Trs80 on
Im going to be working out of state and my wife depends on me to maintain
and keep her XP laptop working.

How can I remote to her XP laptop from my XP to view her desktop and control
it as if I was there? Is there software that can just be installed on each
PC and work point to point without need to subscribe to a service?

use of their server I guess. Microsofts XP remote PC I understand will only
work if you are on the same network.

I will be connecting from an out of state ISP to get to her PC on another
ISP.

any thoughts appreciated!
thanks

From: Grinder on
On 12/27/2009 7:27 PM, Trs80 wrote:
> Im going to be working out of state and my wife depends on me to maintain
> and keep her XP laptop working.
>
> How can I remote to her XP laptop from my XP to view her desktop and control
> it as if I was there? Is there software that can just be installed on each
> PC and work point to point without need to subscribe to a service?

> use of their server I guess. Microsofts XP remote PC I understand will only
> work if you are on the same network.
>
> I will be connecting from an out of state ISP to get to her PC on another
> ISP.
>
> any thoughts appreciated!
> thanks

I would like an easy remote desktop solution as well. GotoMyPC has a
service that enables you to email a link to someone that they click on
to connect their PC to your machine. That would be great if it worked
easily, but Vista (and probably Windows 7) take special setup to get
full control.

UltraVNC has a thin server called UltraVNC SC. The "SC" is for single
click. If you know the IP address of your machine--the public IP
address, not just the one on your network behind your router--you can
embed that into the UltraVNC SC application you give to your wife.
You'll have to make sure that some traffic, on your network, is routed
to your machine, but the setup should be simple for your wife.

http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/sc/index.html

UltraVNC also describes some products (Nat-2-Nat) that purport to allow
two PCs to connect with no port forwarding or any additional network
setup. Searching the forums will reveal that those products aren't
really supported. I could never get them to work

It basically boils down to this. If you want any two PCs in the world
connect, without knowing anything about either one's place in the global
network, you have to have a third machine that will negotiate the
connection. Having that third machine will either cost you money, or
will be a free service that is rapidly overrun by people not willing to
pay for the benefit.

From: Tha RagMan on
On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:27:50 -0800, "Trs80" <trs80(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>Im going to be working out of state and my wife depends on me to maintain
>and keep her XP laptop working.
>
>How can I remote to her XP laptop from my XP to view her desktop and control
>it as if I was there?

I use to use a program called pcAnywhere by Symantec that would do
what you need. Been a long time so maybe another person on this board
can give you updated additional insight and info on this application.
From: gene martinez on
"Trs80" <trs80(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Im going to be working out of state and my wife depends on me to maintain
>and keep her XP laptop working.
>
>How can I remote to her XP laptop from my XP to view her desktop and control
>it as if I was there? Is there software that can just be installed on each
>PC and work point to point without need to subscribe to a service?

>use of their server I guess. Microsofts XP remote PC I understand will only
>work if you are on the same network.
>
>I will be connecting from an out of state ISP to get to her PC on another
>ISP.

Take a look at TeamViewer and see if this will work for you.