From: Eric Weaver on
Stupid N00b question:

I have an XP-home SP2 system that's been running fine for a couple
years. It has taken to being unstable and saying things like "Crash in
SVCHOST.EXE" and restating (or just restarting without notice).

Anybody know if this is likely to be a software/bitrot issue, or a
hardware issue? Changed memory SIMMs and it continues.

Don't have (or at least haven't been able to find) the install media.

Clues welcomed.
From: philo on
Eric Weaver wrote:
> Stupid N00b question:
>
> I have an XP-home SP2 system that's been running fine for a couple
> years. It has taken to being unstable and saying things like "Crash in
> SVCHOST.EXE" and restating (or just restarting without notice).
>
> Anybody know if this is likely to be a software/bitrot issue, or a
> hardware issue? Changed memory SIMMs and it continues.
>
> Don't have (or at least haven't been able to find) the install media.
>
> Clues welcomed.

Did you check all the cooling fans when you opened the machine?

could be overheating

also run a harddrive diagnostic

though you changed the RAM
running a RAM test may still be a good precaution
From: Eric Weaver on
philo wrote:

> Did you check all the cooling fans when you opened the machine?

Yup, vacuumed 'em out.

> also run a harddrive diagnostic

What can you recommend for one of those?

> though you changed the RAM
> running a RAM test may still be a good precaution

Not a bad idea.

BTW looking over the mobo I see a bulging 'lytic. This is an Asus
K8V-MX, AMD socket-754 motherboard, of which there don't seem to be any
direct replacements available.

Might as well see if I can replace the capacitor but I fear the others
are bad too.

Anybody have a direct replacement for a Socket-754 board sitting around?
From: Steve Urbach on
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 12:39:17 -0800, Eric Weaver <weav(a)sigma.net> wrote:

>philo wrote:
>
>> Did you check all the cooling fans when you opened the machine?
>
>Yup, vacuumed 'em out.
>
>> also run a harddrive diagnostic
>
>What can you recommend for one of those?
>

>> though you changed the RAM
>> running a RAM test may still be a good precaution
>
>Not a bad idea.
>
>BTW looking over the mobo I see a bulging 'lytic. This is an Asus
>K8V-MX, AMD socket-754 motherboard, of which there don't seem to be any
>direct replacements available.
>
>Might as well see if I can replace the capacitor but I fear the others
>are bad too.
>
>Anybody have a direct replacement for a Socket-754 board sitting around?
If you are lucky to have "Surplus Electronics" stores like HSC, Weird Stuff,
you might pick up a "brand new" antique Motherboard. I just replaced a bad
P3-800 board with a Asus board in a sealed box for $12.50 :)

From: Eric Weaver on
Steve Urbach wrote:

> If you are lucky to have "Surplus Electronics" stores like HSC, Weird Stuff,
> you might pick up a "brand new" antique Motherboard. I just replaced a bad
> P3-800 board with a Asus board in a sealed box for $12.50 :)

Hmmm! I am near the places you mention. Gotta go have a look...