From: lk on
Hi

I'm new to installing Solaris - currently trying to run it inside VirtualBox
on a W7 host.

When I've installed it straight to a machine (i.e. no VM) previously, it's
installed fine - but I'm now getting
a grub menu and I've no idea what to enter to get it to install. FWIW I'm
getting it to run direct from the
DVD - which looks to have downloaded ok according to the checksum.

Cheers

From: Michael Laajanen on
Hi,

lk wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to installing Solaris - currently trying to run it inside
> VirtualBox on a W7 host.
>
> When I've installed it straight to a machine (i.e. no VM) previously,
> it's installed fine - but I'm now getting
> a grub menu and I've no idea what to enter to get it to install. FWIW
> I'm getting it to run direct from the
> DVD - which looks to have downloaded ok according to the checksum.
>
> Cheers

In that grub menu you just pick the kind of graphic install you like, ie
text install which means no mouse and so.

BTW is not the install the same, VM or bare metal??

/michael
From: Andrew Gabriel on
In article <4c03b6f6$0$12164$fa0fcedb(a)news.zen.co.uk>,
"lk" <gofyself(a)wrong.address.com> writes:
> Hi
>
> I'm new to installing Solaris - currently trying to run it inside VirtualBox
> on a W7 host.
>
> When I've installed it straight to a machine (i.e. no VM) previously, it's
> installed fine - but I'm now getting
> a grub menu and I've no idea what to enter to get it to install. FWIW I'm
> getting it to run direct from the
> DVD - which looks to have downloaded ok according to the checksum.

If you just have a grub> prompt, that usually means it can't find
the menu.lst file (possibly because it can't even find a filesystem).
This would be down to a corrupt ISO image, or possibly the image is
being presented corrupted through the emulated CD driver.

--
Andrew Gabriel
From: Ian Collins on
On 06/ 1/10 09:44 AM, Michael Laajanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> lk wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm new to installing Solaris - currently trying to run it inside
>> VirtualBox on a W7 host.
>>
>> When I've installed it straight to a machine (i.e. no VM) previously,
>> it's installed fine - but I'm now getting
>> a grub menu and I've no idea what to enter to get it to install. FWIW
>> I'm getting it to run direct from the
>> DVD - which looks to have downloaded ok according to the checksum.

Image, or physical media?

> In that grub menu you just pick the kind of graphic install you like, ie
> text install which means no mouse and so.
>
> BTW is not the install the same, VM or bare metal??

Yes, it is. I've installed most builds of Solaris 10 in VirtualBox.

--
Ian Collins
From: Michael Laajanen on
Hi,

Ian Collins wrote:
> On 06/ 1/10 09:44 AM, Michael Laajanen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> lk wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm new to installing Solaris - currently trying to run it inside
>>> VirtualBox on a W7 host.
>>>
>>> When I've installed it straight to a machine (i.e. no VM) previously,
>>> it's installed fine - but I'm now getting
>>> a grub menu and I've no idea what to enter to get it to install. FWIW
>>> I'm getting it to run direct from the
>>> DVD - which looks to have downloaded ok according to the checksum.
>
> Image, or physical media?
>
>> In that grub menu you just pick the kind of graphic install you like, ie
>> text install which means no mouse and so.
>>
>> BTW is not the install the same, VM or bare metal??
>
> Yes, it is. I've installed most builds of Solaris 10 in VirtualBox.

Unless you like to learn to install there is a ready image available at
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/jsp/descFile.jsp?url=descAll/virtualbox_image_of

/michael