From: DRH on

Sun offers a free download of Solaris 10 SPARC or x86:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

There is a FAQ:

http://www.sun.com/download/faq.xml

By downloading this to your hard drive it creates the file:

sol-10-u3-ga-sparc-v1.iso

This file can be copied onto a CD, which naturally doesn't produce a
bootable CD,
nor does pkginfo show any "packages in a container":

# pkginfo -d /cdrom/dec_11_2006/sol_10_u.iso

pkginfo: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
- bad format in datastream table-of-contents

I don't find anything in the FAQ, nor on the site (although it's
probably there somewhere), and when
one calls the phone number provided at the site they want a service
contract number.

How do you create a bootable suninstall disk from the download?

Thanks, ~drh~

From: news on
DRH <DRyanHawley(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> By downloading this to your hard drive it creates the file:
>
> sol-10-u3-ga-sparc-v1.iso
>
> This file can be copied onto a CD, which naturally doesn't produce a
> bootable CD,
> nor does pkginfo show any "packages in a container":
>
> # pkginfo -d /cdrom/dec_11_2006/sol_10_u.iso
>
> pkginfo: ERROR: attempt to process datastream failed
> - bad format in datastream table-of-contents

No. Because it is an "iso" image not a package file.

> I don't find anything in the FAQ, nor on the site (although it's probably
> there somewhere), and when one calls the phone number provided at the site
> they want a service contract number.
> How do you create a bootable suninstall disk from the download?

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/burn_iso_images.html

(which is three clicks away from the Sol 10 page at
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/)

--
Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

From: DRH on

One more comment on this. First I tried to download directly to the
writable CD
using SDM (Sun Download Manager) and it said, "no such directory". I
didn't
see how creating a directory on the CD first would be usefull, and I
don't see
any buttons or gagets labeled "make CD bootable", or "write to CD" (in
usable format) on SDM.

From: James Carlson on
"DRH" <DRyanHawley(a)gmail.com> writes:
> By downloading this to your hard drive it creates the file:
>
> sol-10-u3-ga-sparc-v1.iso
>
> This file can be copied onto a CD, which naturally doesn't produce a
> bootable CD,
> nor does pkginfo show any "packages in a container":
>
> # pkginfo -d /cdrom/dec_11_2006/sol_10_u.iso

It looks like you used some sort of software that created an ISO 9660
(CD-ROM) file system and placed that "sol_10_u.iso" file into it
during that "copy" operation.

The problem is that the original file you had was *already* a proper
CD-ROM file system. It's an "ISO image." You'll need to tell your
burning software to load up that image and burn it to the CD without
changing anything.

You didn't mention what software you used to burn the CD, but you'll
likely need to find the manual for that software.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network <james.d.carlson(a)sun.com>
From: Dave on

Did you even look at the link provided?
there is a link to the instructions on the download page as well...
it is an ISO image... use something like Nero under windows to BURN
the IMAGE to disk, not to copy it to a CD...